Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Hoary ClearType-like fonts

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: HOWTO: Hoary ClearType-like fonts

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    a side by side comparison of how linux (with aa) and windows (with cleartype) render Verdana 8pt at 72dpi leaves me with a lot of disappointment. i'm still curious as to whether we have freetype's bytecode interpreter support enabled in ubuntu, and if not, whether enabling it will improve things (see my post above). this forum (customization tips & tricks) is not the place to ask questions though, and this deserves a thread of its own, so once i do my clean reinstall of hoary and get the basics right, i'll post one.
    Try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig". It will ask you for the Font-Rendering-Method: - Bytecode-Interpreter (for CRT's), Autohinting (for TFT's) and a third choice (think it was AntiAliasing)

Here's a Screenshot of the current posting with the Bytecode-Interpreter enabled (in my opinion it's a great improvement on a CRT!):

Btw, i followed this guide to configure the fontrendering.

Beans

i know about fontconfig but as i've stated before i'm not sure that its bytecode interpreter option has anything to do with the bytecode interpreter support in freetype.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

Antialias doesn't make a font good

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I'm quite sure it's the same thing.
    Before installing Hoary I played around with Suse 9.2 in which the Bytecode-Interpreter is disabled by default. So I had to rebuild freetype2 with an enabled B-I (by editing the SPEC-file) and the result looked exactly like Hoary with the B-I enabled via fontconfig.

Beans

that furthers my disappointment...
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

I tried this procedure and I must have messed up the math, because when I reboot i get "gedit:6435 Gtk-warning:cannot open display." can you tell me how to reset my parameters from command line or whatever so that I can get back to a functional ubuntu. Thanks, newbie here.

Beans

I did this and I was astounded by the difference in the fonts. I didn't enable the Bytecode interpreter since I use a flat-panel, but damn my fonts look sharp now. I spend weeks in fedora trying to get my font rendering nicely.

I'm super pleased.. thanks guys!

Beans

Hi

What about Laptop Resoltion - I have here a Acer Notebook 15.1" and a Pixelresolution of 1400x1050. How to calculate this DisplaySize? I assume that my dpi is higher - isnt it ?

Jux

Beans

Ok. It's me again. I ve measured my Display (measuring tape) and it's 305x230. I ve added this to my xorg and xpdyinfo now says
    Code:
    resolution:    116x115 dots per inch
    Fonts look good, but HUGE !
    I'm not sure if this is the correct way to adjust my resolution ???

Beans

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the displaysize sould be set to your physical screen dimensions.

I've got mine set to 306x230, resolution of 1600x1200 gives me a 132x132dpi. Setting gnome's font dpi to 96dpi works well.

Just wondering

cheers
    T

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast