Thread: Media Folder Permissions

Beans

Angry Media Folder Permissions

I am having trouble setting permissions of a few disks I added to my ubuntu server. I got the disks working fine and mounting on boot-up. The disks boot and mount into the location /media/TV for one, and /media/Movies for another drive. I have them both shared via SMB and the server is shared via SSH so I can connect to the drive via SMB or SSH.

I can go to the terminal on my Mac, connect to the server via ssh, and enter the command

Code:
    sudo cp /home/myhome/stuff /media/TV/stuff
    and it will copy over the content to my TV drive with no problem. The minute I try and open up the SSH via an sftp program, cyberduck is what I am using, or Filezilla is an alternative. Neither work. I get an error:
    Code:
    "Failure (SSH_FX_FAILURE: An error occurred, but no specific error code exists to describe the failure.)."
    I then tried to copy over the files by connecting to it from Finder on my Mac via smb://myUbuntuServer

I tried to copy some files over that were on my mac to this /media/TV SMB share and it feeds me the error:

Code:
    "Items can’t be copied to “Ubuntu-TV” because you don’t have permission to read them."
    When I set up the SMB share... I specifically called the folder Ubuntu-TV, (pointing straight to /media/TV) here is my /etc/samba/smb.conf file

Code:
    [Ubuntu-TV]
    path =/media/TV
    available = yes
    valid users = myUserAccount
    read only = no
    browsable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes

I've tried

Code:
    sudo chmod -R 775 /media/TV
    nothing

Code:
    sudo chmod -R 777 /media/TV
    nothing

What am I doing wrong here!?

Beans

Re: Media Folder Permissions

Doh!

I was able to solve the problem with the following lines, I did all 4 of them. If anyone would like to roughly explain what these lines did, and from my understanding, I think if I would have done the top line only it would have worked. But I did them all. Is this bad/good? A quick explanation would be amazing

Code:
    sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERNAME /media/TV
    sudo chgrp plugdev /media/TV
    sudo chmod g+w /media/TV
    sudo chmod +t /media/TV
    Now it works!
    Last edited by tgreena; December 24th, 2012 at 12:25 AM.