Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing a graphics library.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Choosing a graphics library.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmn View Post
    I'm only seeking an easy way simply because I'd rather work on the other parts of the program. Now I have to learn a library, prior to actually working on the most interesting portions of the code base.
    Sorry-it wasn't my intention to presume things-I agree OpenGL is boring. I just meant that there isn't really an easier way. Although do check out irrlicht, in case that works for you.

Beans

Someone could probably write a 3D graphics library that was simple to use and did just what you want it to do. But in all likelihood you're the only person who would use it, since other people have different requirements than just "draw spheres". There's not much demand for single-purpose DWIM 3D modeling software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    Someone could probably write a 3D graphics library that was simple to use and did just what you want it to do. But in all likelihood you're the only person who would use it, since other people have different requirements than just "draw spheres". There's not much demand for single-purpose DWIM 3D modeling software.
    Well it doesn't have to be a library that does one thing for the programmer. It just needs to be something less overwhelming in general.

Beans

The point I was trying to make is that 3D graphics is a pretty overwhelming topic to begin with. If I were looking for quantum mechanical modeling software, I might find a package with the best user interface ever, but I'd still have to learn some physics just to be able to use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    The point I was trying to make is that 3D graphics is a pretty overwhelming topic to begin with. If I were looking for quantum mechanical modeling software, I might find a package with the best user interface ever, but I'd still have to learn some physics just to be able to use it.
    Complete rewrite

I get it, I was just wondering if there was something even a bit less overwhelming. I'll be using opengl.
    Last edited by Ghostmn; December 24th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

Beans

If you just need to draw spheres why not use a ray tracing program such as Povray I think it will be easier for you than to start learning OpenGL, in fact Povray already has a simple sphere object that you can use, and I think you'll be able to do animations faster win Povray than to learn Opengl.

Also Povray supports mathematically defined objects as opposed to working with OpenGL triangles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12