Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a graphics library.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Choosing a graphics library.

I'm writing a program which does very high level mathematics, and I need a graphics library which doesn't get in the way. Something simple to use.

I've looked online for Opengl tutorials, found freeglut, but I have been generally unsuccessful in finding a proper tutorial.

Preferably I would like a different library that isn't overly feature-full, and accomplishes just basic rendering. I honestly just need a window and the ability to draw sphere's.

If there is no such library, could someone give me a link to a proper opengl/freeglut tutorial that's compatible with at most 3.0

My base language at the moment is C, but I am also experience in C++.

Beans

Re: Choosing a graphics library.

Check out SDL.

http://www.libsdl.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmn View Post
    I honestly just need a window and the ability to draw sphere's.
    Do you mean circles? Those simple 2D objects with a center point and a radius? If so, why not use Qt or GTK or wxWidgets, you can draw simple graphics with all of these toolkits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Obviously sphere refers to 3D object like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_10deg_6r.svg

I think you really need some more advanced library than what i suggested earlier, sorry for messing up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

OpenGL is really what you need: there are OpenGL wrappers (OGRE, Irrlicht, COGL) and 2.5D toolkits like Clutter, but for simple spheres OpenGL is just what you need.

There is a *severe* learning curve. I'm thinking at least a month if you have normal amount of spare time/sanity. Here's the best tutorial I've found, which covers 3D graphics in general, but uses OpenGL (core profile, not fixed-function) as examples: http://arcsynthesis.org/gltut/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    OpenGL is really what you need: there are OpenGL wrappers (OGRE, Irrlicht, COGL) and 2.5D toolkits like Clutter, but for simple spheres OpenGL is just what you need.

There is a *severe* learning curve. I'm thinking at least a month if you have normal amount of spare time/sanity. Here's the best tutorial I've found, which covers 3D graphics in general, but uses OpenGL (core profile, not fixed-function) as examples: http://arcsynthesis.org/gltut/
    That's a bit unfortunate that there isn't a library which can do basic 3d graphics. I'm a physicist and I've been interested in writing a program that displays interactions at the atomic level hence the requirement of spheres.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll be sticking with opengl.

Edit

I actually noticed that the requirement is opengl 3.3, I'm currently on an intel hd 3000. My AMD card is experiencing problems with unity at the moment with bug 1068404.

Will I experience any errors using this on a only 3.0 compatible device?
    Last edited by Ghostmn; December 24th, 2012 at 08:33 PM.

"Basic" is not a modifier that can be sensibly applied to "3d graphics". Much like "fresh raisins" or "C++: The Complete Reference".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    "Basic" is not a modifier that can be sensibly applied to "3d graphics". Much like "fresh raisins" or "C++: The Complete Reference".
    That's not necessarily helpful, and I think you missed the point.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmn View Post
    That's not necessarily helpful, and I think you missed the point.
    Not helpful, but worth you knowing. There are too many applications and variables for any wrapper to be useful in any one situation. If you drop the spheres requirement, (or I suppose you could emulate them by spinning a texture very fast), I can recommend clutter.

If you're set on 'having it easy', you could use irrlicht: (tutorials), to load spheres as models.

As for OpenGL 3.x and hardware requirements, you may be better sticking to 2.x and following these tutorials instead: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenGL_Programming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Not helpful, but worth you knowing. There are too many applications and variables for any wrapper to be useful in any one situation. If you drop the spheres requirement, (or I suppose you could emulate them by spinning a texture very fast), I can recommend clutter.

If you're set on 'having it easy', you could use irrlicht: (tutorials), to load spheres as models.

As for OpenGL 3.x and hardware requirements, you may be better sticking to 2.x and following these tutorials instead: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenGL_Programming
    I'm only seeking an easy way simply because I'd rather work on the other parts of the program. Now I have to learn a library, prior to actually working on the most interesting portions of the code base.

Not complaining, but just giving my reasoning for asking for a simpler library.

Thank you for everyone who has replied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast