Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I upgrade from 12.04 lts to raring?

Beans

Re: How can I upgrade from 12.04 lts to raring?

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    There is a standard method that we used when the new development cycle started. We took an updated Quantal and changed the software sources/repositories to Raring.

This is how I got my Raring install in the first place back in November. and being unable to get a Raring ISO image to work I converted a second Quantal just the other day. A lot of updates need to be done but it will still work.

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/quantal/raring/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    That changes the repositories. Follow it with the usual

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    I am planning later today to install Gnome Remix. That will be Quantal and then use this method to convert it to Raring. If it does not work in this case I can easily re-install the 12.10 Remix.

Regards.
    This is pretty awesome!!! Used it to go from quantal to raring.

Thanks for sharing.

J

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    There is a standard method that we used when the new development cycle started. We took an updated Quantal and changed the software sources/repositories to Raring.

This is how I got my Raring install in the first place back in November. and being unable to get a Raring ISO image to work I converted a second Quantal just the other day. A lot of updates need to be done but it will still work.

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/quantal/raring/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    That changes the repositories. Follow it with the usual

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    I am planning later today to install Gnome Remix. That will be Quantal and then use this method to convert it to Raring. If it does not work in this case I can easily re-install the 12.10 Remix.

Regards.
    Downloaded a fresh copy of 12.10 and installed it in VB. Then, using the above sources list line, I changed sources list to raring.

Ran into problems with broken dependencies after running all regular updates, including dist-upgrade.

ran the following two lines:

Code:
       sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
      sudo apt-get -f install
    These fixed dependency problems and allowed for the installation of the 3.7 kernel and the remaining upgrades.

I already had Raring running in VB but wanted to give this upgrade method a try and was frustrated until I stumbled upon the 'dpkg' line above.

Thanks, Graham, for providing the sources list info.

Beans

Graphical way (bypass the bug):

Code:
    do-release-upgrade -d -f DistUpgradeViewGtk3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12