Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PI-to-Go

Beans
    Hidden!

PI-to-Go

I saw this Mobile Raspberry Pi Computer: Build your own portable Pi-to-Go and though it was bulky; but, a fun looking project if you have a 3D printer.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: PI-to-Go

Fun project, but very impractical considering what you can buy pre-assembled for way less than the total cost of the build.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    I saw this Mobile Raspberry Pi Computer: Build your own portable Pi-to-Go and though it was bulky; but, a fun looking project if you have a 3D printer.
    If anyone out there has a 3D printer, do us a favour and print us a 3D printer
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Warpnow View Post
    Fun project, but very impractical considering what you can buy pre-assembled for way less than the total cost of the build.
    Since when does fun and practical work well together

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Warpnow View Post
    You can buy a notebook for less; but, what's the fun in doing that? A notebook would also most like weigh less as well.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    If anyone out there has a 3D printer, do us a favour and print us a 3D printer
    I am thinking about getting a 3D printer.

At one time I made things out of wood; however, my wife and I moved to a smaller house before retirement. There just isn't room for the woodworking tools. As I get older, they are getting more difficult to use as well.

3D printers are getting to a price that makes them comparable to the woodworking tools I had; such as drill press, lathe, band saw, tabletop jigsaw, table saw, and so fourth.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    I am thinking about getting a 3D printer.

At one time I made things out of wood; however, my wife and I moved to a smaller house before retirement. There just isn't room for the woodworking tools. As I get older, they are getting more difficult to use as well.

3D printers are getting to a price that makes them comparable to the woodworking tools I had; such as drill press, lathe, band saw, table top jigsaw, table saw, and so fourth.
    Well yes they are getting cheaper like this one http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/23/portabee-3d-printer/

and http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...abs-3d-printer which looks nicer.

it is as ever the consumable costs with resins being about $150/£100 per litre

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

it is as ever the consumable costs with resins being about $150/£100 per litre
    Aren't there 3D-printers that you can feed weed-whacker wire?

Beans
    Hidden!

I looked at the cost of a 1 kg or 2.2 lb spool of ABS plastic. It was about the same price as the colour ink cartridges for my inkjet printer.

I could have some fun with the hobby. I would have fun doing the 3D CAD drawings. 1 kg or 2.2 lbs of plastic is a lot of plastic when you are using it for something hollow that is smaller than 22 x 22 x 16.5 cm.

It would be a hobby. I have spent just as much on other hobbies.

Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; December 23rd, 2012 at 11:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

if anyone out there has a 3d printer, do us a favour and print us a 3d printer
    +1

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast