Thread: Boot Mac Osx From Command Line

Beans

Boot Mac Osx From Command Line

I have Ubuntu installed, and I can't access it, only the command line. I have a disk of Mac OSX in the drive, for resale purposes. I want to be able to boot from that disk using the command line. What Prompts do I need?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Boot Mac Osx From Command Line

I don't think what you are asking is possible, but I need to understand better exactly what it is you are trying to do here.

Is the mac "disk" you mention a macOS installation media and are you are trying to install or run on non Apple hardware? Forum rules forbid helping you, as it goes against the Apple EULA as I understand the situation.

Generally speaking the disk (if it is installation media) is booted directly into from BIOS at startup not booted from an already running OS (even if you can't load up a GUI - parts of the Ubuntu system are loaded into memory if you have a terminal running).

If you are trying to repair the Ubuntu installation you can do so with an Ubuntu live cd.

Installing (maybe, if possible, even running the OS like your question is suggesting) macOS on non mac hardware is not supported here, afaik.

Please note, if this is not you intent, please further elaborate on your situation/needs.
    Regards, coldcritter64
    Last edited by coldcritter64; December 23rd, 2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: punctuation corrections

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Apple Users.

You might want to take a look at http://face.centosprime.com/macosxw/...-boot-options/ for your startup options.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldcritter64 View Post
    I don't think what you are asking is possible, but I need to understand better exactly what it is you are trying to do here.

Is the mac "disk" you mention a macOS installation media and are you are trying to install or run on non Apple hardware? Forum rules forbid helping you, as it goes against the Apple EULA as I understand the situation.

Generally speaking the disk (if it is installation media) is booted directly into from BIOS at startup not booted from an already running OS (even if you can't load up a GUI - parts of the Ubuntu system are loaded into memory if you have a terminal running).

If you are trying to repair the Ubuntu installation you can do so with an Ubuntu live cd.

Installing (maybe, if possible, even running the OS like your question is suggesting) macOS on non mac hardware is not supported here, afaik.

Please note, if this is not you intent, please further elaborate on your situation/needs.
    Regards, coldcritter64
    The laptop is a macbook pro.
    I am trying to install snow leopard
    I replaced the HDD, was buggy, installed Ubuntu, wanted to install MAc OSX for resale, talked with Apple, they reffered me to Snow Leopard, bought it.
    The Ubuntu was buggy and would not boot Ubuntu when I pressed "Enter for booting the selected OS"(instead it gave weird error) so I had to go to "press "c" for command line".
    Last edited by Ben Cakir; December 24th, 2012 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Elaboratio

Beans
    Hidden!

Macbook Pro = no problem

Lisati has moved the thread here, "Apple Users" subforum for your help needs.

Sorry I know very little about Macs and booting them. Good luck with a fix. Regards, coldcritter64
    Last edited by coldcritter64; December 24th, 2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: reword last sentence

Beans

I think I have found a way: i will erase the Hdd using these:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...1&d=1356326581
    http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...1&d=1356326581

then i will install mac osx. will this work?
    Attached Images Attached Images