Thread: Problem with GPT drive on Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10

Threaded View

Beans

Question Problem with GPT drive on Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10

Hello all,

I have persistent problems getting my new 3TB HDD (Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001) running on my Windows 7 64bit Professional / ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 64 bit dual boot system. These are all the details, even though I am pretty sure the problem is not distribution-specific.

This is what is going on: I started out partitioning the drive using Ubuntu's gparted. I created a GPT partition table, a big NTFS and a smaller ext4 partition. Everything worked fine and I could use the drive straight away - no surprises there.
    However, booting Windows to check, I found the drive missing. The Windows partitioning tool told me the drive was "unitiliazed" - it asked me to create a MBR or GPT table.
    So I let Windows do its work, getting the drive running straight away. Booting Ubuntu again, now parted reported the drive as "unallocated space". I checked gdisk, and it tells me that there is an MBR present but no GPT info, even though Windows created a GPT table and a 3TB NTFS partition.
    Since then I spent hours of switching back and forth, I used gdisk to --zap remaining GPT and MBR info, I created partition tables by hand. Once I got an invalid setup where the drive could be read from Windows AND Linux at the same time, however reporting different partition layouts.
    WHAT IS GOING ON? Right now I have the drive usable in Windows, configured with just one 3TB NTFS partition and performing like it should - but still showing as "unallocated" space in parted and listed as an MBR drive in gdisk. I have 2 other HDDs and a SSD running, all sharing NTFS and ext partitions and all of them running fine under both systems.

I am stuck now... Please help.

Cheers

Q.
    Last edited by quantenmetz; December 23rd, 2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Missing Info