Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't install Raring as the installation hangs on the partitioner

Beans

Can't install Raring as the installation hangs on the partitioner

I tried to install Kubuntu 13.04 with the images from the last 3 days (including today). The problem is that the installation hangs on the partitioner: as soon as a click continue (on the initial screen where you can select whether include or not proprietary software or download updates) the system hangs (it never gets to the next screen).

So I tried Ubuntu Server 13.04 and tried a cli.
    I get the same problem: after the first selections, when it's supposed to load the partitioner, the system hands (it never gets there).

I have 3 hard disks (1 ssd and 2 traditional ones).
    I have a cpu intel i5- sandy bridge and a gtx 480 with 32gb of ddr3.
    The system works fine while installing xubuntu 12.10 or ubuntu server 12.04.1

Any ideas/suggestions about what could be the isue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't install Raring as the installation hangs on the partitioner

Quote Originally Posted by sonnet View Post
    I tried to install Kubuntu 13.04 with the images from the last 3 days (including today). The problem is that the installation hangs on the partitioner: as soon as a click continue (on the initial screen where you can select whether include or not proprietary software or download updates) the system hangs (it never gets to the next screen).

So I tried Ubuntu Server 13.04 and tried a cli.
    I get the same problem: after the first selections, when it's supposed to load the partitioner, the system hands (it never gets there).

I have 3 hard disks (1 ssd and 2 traditional ones).
    I have a cpu intel i5- sandy bridge and a gtx 480 with 32gb of ddr3.
    The system works fine while installing xubuntu 12.10 or ubuntu server 12.04.1

Any ideas/suggestions about what could be the isue?
    This seems to happen from time to time. Occasionally, I've had success booting to "Try Ubuntu" and then running the installer from the icon on the desktop (not the one in the launcher). That's how I did this install, in fact

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    Install from "Try Ubuntu". +1 Also, It may help to disconnect every thing that you can disconnect until it is installed. You may also want to partition the drive the way you want it prior to running the installation. You can then choose to use the partitions and flag them the way you want. Worth a try, always works for me. Or not!

Beans

Ok guys, I'll try it out in one hour and report back

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Something like this was happening when the first ISO images of Raring were released. At that time you could get to the partitioner page but no further. It was as if the partitioner was not on the disk. It was but there was an error in a script file that was supposed to call to next stage.

This could be a bug.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081344

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; December 23rd, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Ok i tried from the live session (of Kubuntu: I tried the Alpha 1 images as also the latest daily build), as suggested, but I still have the same issue.

Beans
    Distro

I had no luck at all on several attempts. Here is what I did, Installed 12.10, changed the sources list to raring, and dist-upgrade, and here I am.
    One Team One Mission, Keep it all Open Source

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chazall1 View Post
    I had no luck at all on several attempts. Here is what I did, Installed 12.10, changed the sources list to raring, and dist-upgrade, and here I am.
    Would it work if I do the same , but with a 12.04 cli installation (changing the sources to raring as you did?) ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sonnet View Post
    Would it work if I do the same , but with a 12.04 cli installation (changing the sources to raring as you did?) ?
    No as explained in the thread you started, you first need to upgrade to Quantal first, before upgrading to Raring.

Beans

The installer seems broken, the best way to try raring at this point would be to just upgrade from a fresh 12.10 install. This is what I plan on doing as I've wasted to much time and went through various hardware configs it is the installer that is broken.

However, I did give 32GB of memory and 4GB of video to raring and I must say once you get it up it is snappy and really doesn't have a lot of issues as 12.10 did during beta.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast