Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't open password protect .pdf

Beans

Can't open password protect .pdf

So, I'm trying to open a book for one of my university of phoenix classes but after I type in my username and password in the .pdf I can't hit the "Unlock" button to open the dang thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't open password protect .pdf

Do you have access to a Windows computer? Open it up in Windows and see if you can save it without a password.

Post back if that doesn't work. I might know of something else that will work.

Cipherboy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Looks like you're trying to open it to make changes -- which you're NOT going to be able to do. Preventing changes to documents is one of the primary reasons folks convert them to PDF in the first place.

However, you should be able to READ the PDF file. Just don't try to open it in a document editor of any kind.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I had some problems with password protected pdf's a while back.

Try using foxit I was able to open password protected files with it.

Good luck.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Try this.
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-crack-pdf-file-password.html

Edited: Once you figured out the password I think you can use evince (the document reader) to open the pdf and save an unencrypted copy.
    Last edited by beew; February 10th, 2011 at 01:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Good Luck with that password cracking. Unless the person who created the password was really STUPID and used something like "123" or "abc", the time that it will take to crack it will vary from HOURS, to DAYS, to WEEKS!

Unlike in the movies, real password crackers can't work on one character at a time. All they can do is generate a password, try it, see if it works, and then do this over again.

Any reasonably complex password consisting of upper case letters, lower case letters, numbers, and special sumbols is going to general MILLIONS of combinations. Even a very fast machine is going to take a long time to try all the combinations.

Think about it -- if it really was so simple that you could run of these password crackers and hack the file in just a few minutes, what would be the point of password protecting it in the first place?
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Howdy,

Open the file with Xpdf. It simply ignores all that cruft.

Alternatively, open the file with a programmer's editor and delete the password stanza (usually towards the end of the file).

Beans

I guess I forgot to subscribe to this thread (thought I had it set to do that automatically) so I didn't check back to see if anyone responded, oops! Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by cipherboy_loc View Post
    Do you have access to a Windows computer? Open it up in Windows and see if you can save it without a password.

Post back if that doesn't work. I might know of something else that will work.

Cipherboy
    Thank you for your response but I can't save it without the password

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Looks like you're trying to open it to make changes -- which you're NOT going to be able to do. Preventing changes to documents is one of the primary reasons folks convert them to PDF in the first place.

However, you should be able to READ the PDF file. Just don't try to open it in a document editor of any kind.
    That's the thing: I can't read the .pdf. I don't want to make any changes to it, I just want to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by gdonwallace View Post
    I had some problems with password protected pdf's a while back.

Try using foxit I was able to open password protected files with it.

Good luck.
    Foxit doesn't even give me a place to enter a username and password

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Try this.
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-crack-pdf-file-password.html

Edited: Once you figured out the password I think you can use evince (the document reader) to open the pdf and save an unencrypted copy.
    Evince won't let me click on the "Unlock" button in the document

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Howdy,

Open the file with Xpdf. It simply ignores all that cruft.

Alternatively, open the file with a programmer's editor and delete the password stanza (usually towards the end of the file).
    Xpdf won't even let me enter the username and password

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Good Luck with that password cracking. Unless the person who created the password was really STUPID and used something like "123" or "abc", the time that it will take to crack it will vary from HOURS, to DAYS, to WEEKS!...
    If you would have read the entire 30 or so words I posted you'd understand that I HAVE the username and password, I'm not trying to "crack" anything. I have a degree in math and in less time than its taking me to respond to your condescending post, I could figure out exactly how many different combinations I'd have to try if I really wanted to do something as ridiculous as crack the password to an operations management book that I don't even really want to read in the first place but unfortunately have to as is required by the syllabus

Thanks to all of you who offered help. This is really frustrating

Edit - I attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about *sigh* (lol @ the "take screenshot" in the attachment..hey, i've never used the screenshot tool before )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AkaChan83; February 21st, 2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Attached screenshot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can I join the list of those saying something stupid and adding to your frustration? From the screenshot you are at the first page of the book which has 827 pages. Have you tried hitting Next? I notice that the down arrow - Next button is available.

I am also wondering about the subject that you are studying. What is so special about it that the study books have to be password protected?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Have you tried hitting Next? ...

I am also wondering about the subject that you are studying. What is so special about it that the study books have to be password protected?

Regards.
    Yes, I've tried hitting next. All of the rest of the pages just have the pdfprotector (or whatever it is) logo on it (when I open it using evince) and all of the pages are just black when I try it using, say, foxit.

Nothing is so special about the subject. University of Phoenix does this to ALL of their online books if you want to download the whole book (instead of reading individual chapters through your UOP homepage).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast