Thread: dual boot

Hybrid View

Beans

Wink dual boot

I have two laptops and sort of know my way around gpart how do I set up my partitions to accomplish dual boot or am I doing it all wrong .I have all the software needed just need to know the exact order of installing them cause I love this Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: dual boot

The easiest way to set up a dual boot is to boot from your Live CD or USB disk, select "Install Ubuntu" (or "Try Ubuntu" and then click the desktop shortcut for it), and then when the installer program gives you the option to, just select "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows". That's all. It does it automatically.
    Last edited by searchfgold6789; December 23rd, 2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: typos
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: dual boot

If you have an available primary partition, so the installer can create the extended auto install works well for newer users.

But most Windows 7 systems use all 4 primary partitions. So then you have to decide what to do.

Post this from terminal of install ISO installed to flash or DVD.

sudo fdisk -lu
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Smile Re: dual boot

thank you both, I dont know if I did it perfectly but its working on both my hp laptop and my acer. I just used gpart to create Three Partitions equal in size.Installed Windows first, named the second Linux swap and then used live cd to install Ubuntu. I am prompted two choose witch system on startup and am very happy to finaly have windows on my laptop to only for my windows phone witch I actualy love. so thank you all again