Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

Code:
    he following packages will be REMOVED:
      gnome-session-fallback
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      gnome-session gnome-session-common
    Should I stay or should I go?
    I do use fallback frequently...
    Looked briefly in changelogs and did not find a quick answer...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Code:
      gnome-session-fallback
    Fallback? What fallback, there's always the commandline, I should go

On a more serious note, I stopped using the Gnome3 ppa:s since it got weird beyond repair ie froze the whole box including keyboard which is not everyday. That was an old install with 12.10 as the original base. I've started fresh with the Ubuntu-version of 13.10 from a week ago as base, and use only xorg-edgers, pulseaudo-testing and alsa-testing over standard saucy reps and daily kernels of course. In that incarnation gnome-shell is the most stable gnome-shell I've ever had
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Asus P5Q-DeLuxe C2Q Q9450@3.2GHz 8GB Nvidia GTX650Ti 1GB Asus Xonar Essence ST Crucial M4 64GB(system) 3TB storage Corsair VX450 Xigmatek Asgard

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by xeizo View Post
    Fallback? What fallback, there's always the commandline, I should go

On a more serious note, I stopped using the Gnome3 ppa:s since it got weird beyond repair ie froze the whole box including keyboard which is not everyday. That was an old install with 12.10 as the original base. I've started fresh with the Ubuntu-version of 13.10 from a week ago as base, and use only xorg-edgers, pulseaudo-testing and alsa-testing over standard saucy reps and daily kernels of course. In that incarnation gnome-shell is the most stable gnome-shell I've ever had
    I'll probably regret writing this yet today but GS from PPA proved seriously stable in last month or so for me, and a log of my mistakes is just available to everyone here on Forum(s)...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'll probably regret writing this yet today but GS from PPA proved seriously stable in last month or so for me, and a log of my mistakes is just available to everyone here on Forum(s)...
    from synaptic's package details:

fallback : This is a transitional package to ease upgrades to gnome-session-flashback.
    It can be safely removed.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
      gnome-session-fallback
    Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    from synaptic's package details:

fallback : This is a transitional package to ease upgrades to gnome-session-flashback.
    It can be safely removed.
    I removed it last night, during an incremental upgrade.

Looks like it DID indeed remove fallback...

Code:
    vindsl@Zuul:~$ apt-cache policy gnome-session-fallback
    gnome-session-fallback:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 3.8.2.1-0ubuntu1~raring3+logind3
      Version table:
         3.8.2.1-0ubuntu1~raring3+logind3 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3-staging/ubuntu/ raring/main i386 Packages
         3.8.0-0ubuntu1~raring1 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ raring/main i386 Packages
         3.6.2-0ubuntu7 0
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy/universe i386 Packages
    vindsl@Zuul:~$
    I never use fallback, so no harm, no foul...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Farewell Fallback, I'll miss You... ;(

Update₁: Ups, Flashback works...
    If only keyboard shorcuts worked in FlashBack...

Update₂: Just to (re)solve
    Code:
    Setting up gnome-session-flashback (1:3.6.2-0ubuntu9) ...
    update-alternatives: error: alternative path /usr/bin/gnome-session-fallback doesn't exist
    dpkg: error processing gnome-session-flashback (--configure):
     subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
    No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
                                                                  Errors were encountered while processing:
     gnome-session-flashback
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Update₃: Nothing one
    Code:
    sudo touch /usr/bin/gnome-session-fallback
    can not (re)solve...
    Last edited by zika; June 21st, 2013 at 01:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I made a few mistakes in this update. If you'll wait a few hours for the packages to publish, you should be able to dist-upgrade without a problem. gnome-session-flashback should replace gnome-session-fallback. If you do not have gnome-session-flashback installed then you won't have the option to log in to the gnome-panel session (which has been renamed GNOME Flashback).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    I made a few mistakes in this update. If you'll wait a few hours for the packages to publish, you should be able to dist-upgrade without a problem. gnome-session-flashback should replace gnome-session-fallback. If you do not have gnome-session-flashback installed then you won't have the option to log in to the gnome-panel session (which has been renamed GNOME Flashback).
    Mistakes are part of the process of growth... Thank You for nice work. Writing this (of course) from FlashBack-NoEffects...
    Are we to expect keyboard-shortcuts to work in some forseable future or should we (as I did) get used not to use them... ?

Beans

I've already upgraded Ubuntu Gnome to 3.8 (very nice Ubuntu GNOME team and GNOME devs) using the GNOME Team PPA -- but I noticed I'm missing the privacy settings from the system settings dialogue, and there is some bugginess (such as when switching users) that I'm hoping adding the staging PPA will fix. I can't seem to find an Ubuntu bug for the user switching, but I see it for lots of other distros out there, and I haven't looked that hard yet, I'll admit.

So I'm OK with the warning about breakage -- I understand this is a staging PPA. But I want to be sure what I'm getting myself into - will adding this PPA and doing a dist-upgraded be *expected* to break extensions which are working with 3.8 from the Team PPA? Any other huge regressions that are known? I see the note above about waiting a few hours, so I'll definitely wait a bit!

Thanks all!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by converted View Post
    I've already upgraded Ubuntu Gnome to 3.8 (very nice Ubuntu GNOME team and GNOME devs) using the GNOME Team PPA -- but I noticed I'm missing the privacy settings from the system settings dialogue, and there is some bugginess (such as when switching users) that I'm hoping adding the staging PPA will fix. I can't seem to find an Ubuntu bug for the user switching, but I see it for lots of other distros out there, and I haven't looked that hard yet, I'll admit.

So I'm OK with the warning about breakage -- I understand this is a staging PPA. But I want to be sure what I'm getting myself into - will adding this PPA and doing a dist-upgraded be *expected* to break extensions which are working with 3.8 from the Team PPA? Any other huge regressions that are known? I see the note above about waiting a few hours, so I'll definitely wait a bit!

Thanks all!
    glance at extensions.gnome.org : 3.8 extensions are ok, but very rare for 3.9

Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast