Page 21 of 60 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME3 Staging PPA

Beans

Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    In the shell search results, I don't see the 'settings' (GCC) section under the applications (I am using the mini.iso + ubuntu-gnome-desktop (without install recommends). Anyone face this issue/has any ideas?
    Okay, this is a known bug; See here: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=692483

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just a quick help needed: where is StartUpApplications settings now?
    Thank You in advance...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

if logged as gnome classic:

Applications -> System Tools -> prefs -> Startup applications

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    if logged as gnome classic:

Applications -> System Tools -> prefs -> Startup applications
    On that machine (that I was at that moment) GS was up and it was hard to do LogOut due to apps runnung... That is why I asked in this thread... I knew how to do that in Classic... But...
    Thank You...

Update₁: Is there a way of autohiding panels in Gnome Classic (GS)...? Autohiding works nicely in Fallback (GS)... Machine is up-to-date with (GS&ricotz)staging&testing ppas...
    Last edited by zika; February 9th, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I almost always parse my updates using Synaptic when I'm testing ....... it just makes things really, really easy
    Heh! I've always liked Synaptic...

The funny (odd) thing is, I have some Debian buds (on another forum) that think I'm crazy for using Synaptic. They're always making snarky comments about Synaptic (and me, for using it).

They wouldn't use Synaptic if you put a gun in their collective mouths, and beat them with a rubber hose. They're Aptitude snobs.

Different strokes...

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Should I purge ricotz's PPAs...? Or should I march ahead bravely...? It seems faster with ricotz's upgrades (at least on this drm-next kernel)...
    No need to purge ricotz's PPA, IMO.

The "meat" of the matter is the Gnome3 Staging PPA. I always leave it enabled (checked) in the Synaptic repos.

I use the Gnome3/Ricotz PPAs occasionally, like salt/pepper.

Example: I just did a regular daily upgrade of all official and 3rd party repos, including Gnome3 Staging.

Then, I went back and enabled ricotz's PPA, refreshed, and *looked* at the available upgrades. I wanted to 'spice' things up a bit, but I didn't want them all.

In Synaptic, doing a "Smart Upgrade" would have removed Gnome et cetera (probably due to it wishing to install mozjs188). I didn't want to go down that path, yet.

Instead, I *looked* at what a "Default Upgrade" would accomplish, and was much happier with the packages it selected.

After doing a "Default Upgrade" of ricotz's PPA, I disabled (unchecked) it in the repos list, restarted, and everything appears to be working fine.

Anyway, I see no reason to purge ricotz's PPA. Alternately, I see no reason to have it enabled all the time either, but that's just me.

Once again, different strokes...

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Are you sure that you don't have the app menu extension enabled (or running GNOME Classic as has already been suggested?)
    Good eye!

Yes, I've had the app menu extension enabled for so long, I forgot it was an extension. LoL!

And, no, I'm not running Gnome Classic AFAIK. Hard to tell, when you're dealing with Frankenstein's Monster, whose features sometimes meld together in strange ways, intentionally or unintentionally.

I switched back n' forth between Gnome & Classic via CLI.

They look very similar, but the window buttons (max/min/close) switch sides in Classic mode, plus it adds a lower panel.

The left-side in the upper panel look identical, regardless of which mode I'm running.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Hrm... Just had an unusual experience!

After doing the (above) upgrades, this machine started dropping into Fallback Mode, when awaking from a screensaver blanking event.

That is, I would walk away from this machine for a few minutes (logged into GS) -- the screensaver would blank the display -- but, when I woke it up, I was in Fallback Mode, not GS.

I started to compose a post about this situation, but got distracted with updating my Facebook account. LoL!

When I finally got back to sorting it, I noticed there was a single upgrade available in Synaptic... gnome-screensaver 3.6.1-0ubuntu3. Hello?!?!?

After upgrading gnome-screensaver, I saw a post by zika (in another thread) pointing to this video: http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.con...land_and_X.mp4

"Perfect test," me thinks...

I watched the video, sort of. I fell asleep several times, but every time I awoke, the video was still playing, e.g. as if Caffeine was running in the background (which it wasn't).

"Great, now the screensaver is broken!"

To my surprise, after the video completed, my monitor gently faded to black (screensaver blanked the display). When I moved the mouse, the panel was missing, there was no transparency in Conky, and most everything else was missing. My immediate thought was, "Okay, we're in Fallback Mode again, but... This time, everything eventually popped back up, one component at a time. And, I was still in GS.

If that wasn't spooky enough, that's basically what the video was talking about... the random way xorg-server draws windows, borders, et cetera (vs Wayland).

Anyway, unless I'm still dreaming, it looks like the new gnome-screensaver has some method of preventing your computer from falling asleep while watching videos. The jury is still out, on GS coming back up, or Fallback Mode.

Anybody else experience this?
    Last edited by VinDSL; February 10th, 2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Hrm... Just had an unusual experience!

After doing the (above) upgrades, this machine started dropping into Fallback Mode, when awaking from a screensaver blanking event.

That is, I would walk away from this machine for a few minutes (logged into GS) -- the screensaver would blank the display -- but, when I woke it up, I was in Fallback Mode, not GS.

I started to compose a post about this situation, but got distracted with updating my Facebook account. LoL!

When I finally got back to sorting it, I noticed there was a single upgrade available in Synaptic... gnome-screensaver 3.6.1-0ubuntu3. Hello?!?!?

After upgrading gnome-screensaver, I saw a post by zika (in another thread) pointing to this video: http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.con...land_and_X.mp4

"Perfect test," me thinks...

I watched the video, sort of. I fell asleep several times, but every time I awoke, the video was still playing, e.g. as if Caffeine was running in the background (which it wasn't).

"Great, now the screensaver is broken!"

To my surprise, after the video completed, my monitor gently faded to black (screensaver blanked the display). When I moved the mouse, the panel was missing, there was no transparency in Conky, and most everything else was missing. My immediate thought was, "Okay, we're in Fallback Mode again, but... This time, everything eventually popped back up, one component at a time. And, I was still in GS.

If that wasn't spooky enough, that's basically what the video was talking about... the random way xorg-server draws windows, borders, et cetera (vs Wayland).

Anyway, unless I'm still dreaming, it looks like the new gnome-screensaver has some method of preventing your computer from falling asleep while watching videos. The jury is still out, on GS coming back up, or Fallback Mode.

Anybody else experience this?
    Some of MM players have switch to choose if You want it to prevent SS while You're watching a video... That might be turned on (I think that most of them has that as default) in Your case...
    I had problem with waking from SS in GnomeClassic (GS) yesterday... In the meantime there was an gnome-scrensaver upgrade... So, I do not know if anything have changed with that upgrade...
    It seems that LP is down (probably due to the storm) so...
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

The win+tab landed in shell. The alt+tab moved to the old windows based style. Now, win key is one stop shop for most functions, great!

@VinDSL, I read somewhere about the new changes that allow applications like media players to switch on the inhibit suspend. Probably that just landed.

Beans
    Distro

Some of MM players have switch to choose if You want it to prevent SS while You're watching a video... That might be turned on (I think that most of them has that as default) in Your case...
    @VinDSL, I read somewhere about the new changes that allow applications like media players to switch on the inhibit suspend. Probably that just landed.
    I wonder what mechanism 'they' are using?!?!?

BTW, I was watching the video in a Chromium 26 (Canary) tab via the QuickTime 7.6.6 / Totem 3.6.3 plugin(s). I watched that (45 min.) vid twice, yesterday -- no screen blanking either time, from start to finish. SS is set to blank >= 10 min.

I just checked my X settings, before, during, and after playback (my third viewing), and couldn't see any change(s).

Status remained the same:
    Code:
    vindsl@Zuul:~$ xset q | grep -A1 -i dpms
    DPMS (Energy Star):
      Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
      DPMS is Enabled
      Monitor is On
    vindsl@Zuul:~$
    It's obviously not using the power management system and/or using it in some enigmatic way.

If I manually turn off the screensaver blanking (there are undoubtedly other ways, like all_things_Linux), it looks like this:
    Code:
    vindsl@Zuul:~$ xset s off && xset dpms force on && xset -dpms

vindsl@Zuul:~$ xset q | grep -A1 -i dpms
    DPMS (Energy Star):
      Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
      DPMS is Disabled
    vindsl@Zuul:~$
    I had problem with waking from SS in GnomeClassic (GS) yesterday... In the meantime there was an gnome-scrensaver upgrade... So, I do not know if anything have changed with that upgrade...
    It seems that LP is down (probably due to the storm) so...
    I'm still having issues with GS dropping into Fallback upon awakening.

And, yes, it seems 'the storm' has affected certain NOCs / Datacenters. I had to switch (repo) mirrors yesterday, because the one I normally use was throwing checksum errors on Gnome3 Staging.

Thanks, for the feedback, guys!
    Last edited by VinDSL; February 10th, 2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Addendum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As far as I can remeber VLC is using old-scholl method... And even totem (I'm not sure) uses OS method... But, never say „never“ everything is possible...
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Page 21 of 60 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast