Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 598

Thread: GNOME3 Staging PPA

  1. #421
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    57

    Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

    Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    all these now mainly have "copy from saucy", so they are useless with saucy and JB have stopped its work there too.
    Oh hell.

    What I did NOT notice (originally found the thread in a google search) is that this is in the Ubuntu +1 forum. :facepalm:

  2. #422
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Beans
    713

    Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

    Quote Originally Posted by converted View Post
    Oh hell.
    What I did NOT notice (originally found the thread in a google search) is that this is in the Ubuntu +1 forum. :facepalm:
    I have done this also, it is an easy mistake to make. I always scroll up nowadays after a search just to check if I am in the +1 sub-forum.

  3. #423
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,800
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

    Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    I have done this also, it is an easy mistake to make. [...]
    And, I have done this as well, numerous times.

    Well, not in this particular case, but...

    Some of the version numbers of this_or_that are too close. All I see is the number, and not the name. LoL!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

  4. #424
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    57

    Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

    Thanks both of you!

  5. #425
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,800
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

    Welcome.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

  6. #426
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,800
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    GNOME3 Staging -- Looking Better All The Time

    Kunstimuuseum, Estonia

    Ubuntu 13.10 / GNOME 3.9.3 Staging / Linux 3.10-rc7 Mainline / Conky 1.9.0 / ConkyWX 0.9.3-1



    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

  7. #427
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Where?
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

    "GNOME3 Staging -- Looking Better All The Time
    Kunstimuuseum, Estonia

    Ubuntu 13.10 / GNOME 3.9.3 Staging / Linux 3.10-rc7 Mainline / Conky 1.9.0 / ConkyWX 0.9.3-1"


    GNOME3 Staging -- Looking Better All The Time
    Kunstimuuseum, Estonia

    Ubuntu 13.10 / GNOME 3.9.3 Staging / Linux 3.10-rc7 Mainline / Conky 1.9.0 / ConkyWX 0.9.3-1
    How much hacking? Or is it coming along smoothly...

  8. #428
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,800
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

    Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    How much hacking? Or is it coming along smoothly...
    That's sort of a trick question...

    The only thing(s) I have to hack, on a regular basis are the extensions; which, themselves, are a hack (of sorts).

    Extensions are the glue that holds GNOME3 together IMO. Without them, you might as well run Unity; which is also a GNOME hack. That said, most of the time, all I have to do is hack the json files.

    The Dash-To-Dock extension (the dock on the left-side) has to be compiled from source, every time Ricotz upgrades gnome-shell, but that's no big deal.

    I also skin the icons in gnome-tweak-tool, et cetera.

    Then, there's the obligatory, unexpected dependency issues, and so forth, and so on.

    All_in_all everything has gone smoothly enough. Hasn't been boring...
    Last edited by VinDSL; June 28th, 2013 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

  9. #429
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Where?
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

    Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    That's sort of a trick question...

    The only thing(s) I have to hack, on a regular basis are the extensions; which, themselves, are a hack (of sorts).

    Extensions are the glue that holds GNOME3 together IMO. Without them, you might as well run Unity; which is also a GNOME hack. That said, most of the time, all I have to do is hack the json files.

    The Dash-To-Dock extension (the dock on the left-side) has to be compiled from source, every time Ricotz upgrades gnome-shell, but that's no big deal.

    I also skin the icons in gnome-tweak-tool, et cetera.

    Then, there's the obligatory, unexpected dependency issues, and so forth, and so on.

    All_in_all everything has gone smoothly enough. Hasn't been boring...
    Yah! Pretty much what I hoped you would say, My first attempt with kernel 3.10rc7 and gnome ppas did not go so well, first time i HAVE HAD TO REINSATLL

    But you got me hooked on gnome-shell,(LOL) So Im going to give it another Shot..
    Thanks VinDSL

  10. #430
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    142

    Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

    Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    Yah! Pretty much what I hoped you would say, My first attempt with kernel 3.10rc7 and gnome ppas did not go so well, first time i HAVE HAD TO REINSATLL

    But you got me hooked on gnome-shell,(LOL) So Im going to give it another Shot..
    Thanks VinDSL
    gnome-shell 3.8.2 with Nautilus 3.6.3 was very stable for me, no issues at all. Now it's gnome-shell 3.8.3 with Nautilus 3.8.2 in the repos and it crashes a lot, also apport have started to freeze the whole machine for minutes while it tries to report the new crashes. A clear regression. I've tried Ricotz gnome-shell 3.9.3 with Nautilus 3.8.2 earlier and it wasn't too stable either. It's seems Nautilus 3.6.3+ is the cause of the gnome-shell crashes, and apport do the freezing ...

    Anyway, I''ve started to like gnome-shell a lot, with a skinned icon set it looks and feels more "clean" than Unity. Let's hope the work with packaging accellerates some so it gets more stable and polished. Ubuntu Gnome is the word
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Asus P5Q-DeLuxe C2Q Q9450@3.2GHz 8GB Nvidia GTX650Ti 1GB Asus Xonar Essence ST Crucial M4 64GB(system) 3TB storage Corsair VX450 Xigmatek Asgard

Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •