Page 20 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME3 Staging PPA

Beans

Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

Does anyone happen to know where the config files reside for the new gnome-classic?

I don't see anything in dconf-editor, the only thing I've found so far is /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome-classic.session:

Code:
    [GNOME Session]
    Name=GNOME Classic
    Name[ar]=جنوم تقليدية
    Name[cs]=GNOME klasik
    Name[es]=GNOME clásico
    Name[gl]=GNOME clasico
    Name[hu]=Klasszikus GNOME
    Name[lt]=Klasikinis GNOME
    Name[pl]=Klasyczne GNOME
    Name[ru]=Традиционный GNOME
    Name[sl]=Običajno namizje GNOME
    Name[sr]=Класичан Гном
    Name[sr@latin]=Klasičan Gnom
    RequiredComponents=gnome-shell-classic;gnome-settings-daemon;
    IsRunnableHelper=/usr/lib/gnome-session/gnome-session-check-accelerated
    FallbackSession=gnome-fallback
    What truly is impressive about this version of GNOME so far is how well it performs on even low-end hardware:

Code:
    VIA C7 CPU @ 1500MHz
    VIA CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 Graphics [S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 01)
    VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
    Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    Unless they screw something up it seems like Mutter is really pretty well tuned

I really wished Ubuntu had used something other than Compiz.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    That's what I've been doing...

I started using the 'open-eyes' method of updating, back when the x-edger's PPA would bork my install, from time-to-time. It was best to check for suitable updates, and apply them accordingly. Blindly upgrading edger's was asking for trouble.

Speaking of updates...

Ubuntu 13.04 / Linux 3.8-rc6 / Gnome-Shell 3.7.5 (Staging) / Plank / Conky / ACYL / Chromium Canary

The button icons, on the left-side of the panel are missing, otherwise everything is working fine...
    I almost always parse my updates using Synaptic when I'm testing ....... it just makes things really, really easy

Beans

Activities button is still missing -- but the hot corner works. Just saying.
    I have a *feeling* the activities button is hiding underneath the apps & places buttons.
    If you are talking about the legacy/classic session, then (AFAIK) it is by design, only the hot corner works.

In the shell search results, I don't see the 'settings' (GCC) section under the applications (I am using the mini.iso + ubuntu-gnome-desktop (without install recommends). Anyone face this issue/has any ideas?

[Oh!, by the way, the mini.iso + ubuntu-gnome-desktop (without install recommends) is a terrfic combination. This thing flies. Even after upgrading from UGR12.10, my lap was still struggling (probably due to the opensource ATI drivers). But this is superfast and super awesome. Even the boot/shutdown takes only split-second. I will never install desktop versions again ]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    Do not use the Gnome3 Staging PPA and the Ricotz Testing PPA at the same time.
    By clumsy mistake I've turned both on... It is working nicely... Should I purge ricotz's PPAs...? Or should I march ahead bravely...? It seems faster with ricotz's upgrades (at least on this drm-next kernel)...

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    By clumsy mistake I've turned both on... It is working nicely... Should I purge ricotz's PPAs...? Or should I march ahead bravely...? It seems faster with ricotz's upgrades (at least on this drm-next kernel)...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=189

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Does anyone happen to know where the config files reside for the new gnome-classic?
    I think the main pieces are
    Code:
    /usr/share/gnome-shell/modes/classic.json
    /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome-classic.session
    /usr/share/xsessions/gnome-classic.desktop
    And you can run this to switch to the classic mode without needing to log out first.
    Code:
    gnome-shell --mode=classic -r
    Just run gnome-shell -r to get back to the regular mode.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I really wished Ubuntu had used something other than Compiz.
    Unity in Ubuntu 10.10 was built on mutter but performance was horrible. I'm guessing Compiz will be dumped when Ubuntu moves to the next generation display server (Wayland or whatever) but that doesn't necessarily mean that Unity will use mutter.

The button icons, on the left-side of the panel are missing, otherwise everything is working fine...
    Are you sure that you don't have the app menu extension enabled (or running GNOME Classic as has already been suggested?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I close my eyes only when I'm asleep. At that time no upgrades are possible because machine is off.. So, it seems, I'm fine... The only problem is if while eyes are open brain is on ondemand or even on powersave and not on performance... Which is true the most of the time... I even do not know if performance works on that processor...

Beans

Cool the new "panel" objects are in /usr/share/gnome-shell/modes/classic.json:

Code:
    {
        "parentMode": "user",
        "stylesheetName": "gnome-classic.css",
        "enabledExtensions": ["apps-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com","places-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com","alternate-tab@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com","default-min-max@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com","launch-new-instance@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com","static-workspaces@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com","window-list@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com"],
        "panel": { "left": ["activities", "appMenu"],
                   "center": [],
                   "right": ["a11y", "keyboard", "volume", "bluetooth",
                             "network", "battery", "dateMenu", "userMenu"]
                 }
    }
    Need to find a more appropriate name for the new classic "panels" so as not to be confused with gnome-panel

But I see that it lists:

"static-workspaces@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com"
    So maybe I just don't understand how workspace switching works in the new shell-classic session.

Beans

Aha, hot corner upper left:

workspaces_classic.jpg

So this really is the best of both worlds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    <snip>

Unity in Ubuntu 10.10 was built on mutter but performance was horrible. I'm guessing Compiz will be dumped when Ubuntu moves to the next generation display server (Wayland or whatever) but that doesn't necessarily mean that Unity will use mutter.

<snip>
    Well I may be wrong blaming Compiz altogether but I could at least use Unity-2D on P4M800 graphics (or the fallback session) in Precise.

Quantal and Raring are just a no-go on that hardware, and also a horrible kludge even on this hardware which would run a standard Precise Unity session just fine:

Intel Atom CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz
    Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    The degradation occurred when they introduced 'llvmpipe'. Do you happen to know where GNOME is at regarding the use of 'llvmpipe' with Mutter?

Page 20 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast