Thread: How do I kill a nautilus filemanager window without resetting the desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How do I kill a nautilus filemanager window without resetting the desktop?

Ubuntu 12.04

There is this highly annoying bug in Nautilus where Nautilus simply hangs when calling up the properties of certain file types (raw image files from digital cameras).

I can kill nautilus in a terminal or force quit it, but next my conky display is gone. So how do I kill / force quit nautilus without resetting the desktop?
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How do I kill a nautilus filemanager window without resetting the desktop?

Not possible. The desktop is handled by Nautilus, so killing Nautilus will restart the desktop as well.

Try restarting Conky afterwards instead.

(or take a look if there might be a way to fix the issues with viewing raw files properties... Perhaps there's a Nautilus extension that would help, or maybe you have already installed one that isn't compatible with current Nautilus version and need to uninstall it... Have you checked the ~.xsession-errors if there's any relevant error messages?)

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: How do I kill a nautilus filemanager window without resetting the desktop?

Have you tried

Code:
    killall nautilus