Thread: Installing on many computers - aptoncd or apt-cacher-ng?

Beans

Installing on many computers - aptoncd or apt-cacher-ng?

I am a total beginner to Ubuntu and Linux in general, but I've done a bit of forum reading. I have received 3 old Win XP laptops which I am planning to install with 12.10 and give to various departments at the charity/NGO I work at. I am in Mozambique and have limited bandwidth.

I am working on the first laptop and I have installed Portuguese language support via system settings and some additional programs via the software center. Also, I installed with access to the internet, though I think I lost connection during the install. Software update wants to install 120MB of updates, which I was thinking of just ignoring, because it's working fine at the moment.

For laptops no 2 and 3, without much internet, am I better off with AptonCD or apt-cacher-ng or trying to clone the HDD?

I don't really want to clone as the hardware is/might be different.

Does apt-cacher-ng work for installing additional languages or just for software?
    Does aptoncd?

Any help appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing on many computers - aptoncd or apt-cacher-ng?

Regardless of which method you choose, you'll probably end up loading and reloading systems. So I'd recommend getting apt-cacher-ng or apt-cacher set up so that experimentation with the other methods go faster. It makes a world of difference to have the deb files cached with limited bandwidth.

Beans

Re: Installing on many computers - aptoncd or apt-cacher-ng?

Is language support also stored in deb files? So if I set up apt-cacher-ng and then add a language, will it get it from the cache?