Thread: Killing Floor on Steam performace

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unhappy Killing Floor on Steam performace

I've had a go of Killing Floor through the Linux Steam beta client, but performance is pretty poor. My set-up:

Kubuntu 12.10 64-bit
    AMD Catalyst 12.11 beta (fglrx)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 @3.4 GHz
    XFX AMD/ATI HD5850 1GB
    8GB DDR3 (1333MHz)

I've just been playing solo. It says I'm getting around 25-40fps, but it lags a lot and as such feels a lot less. Turning the settings down makes a difference but not much. As such it's barely playable. When I play in Win 7 it never drops below 75 fps with v-sync enabled.

Presumably it's a graphics driver issue?

Any tips or suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Killing Floor on Steam performace

I haven't clocked FPS, but on my old 8600 GT card, it runs quite well. THere's a tiny bit of chop here and there, but overall it's very playable. I'd hazard a guess that it's a driver issue then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

You did disable desktop effects for full-screen windows? (In the Desktop Effects wizard, select the third tab to find the checkbox.) This *might* be the fix to your problem.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    You did disable desktop effects for full-screen windows? (In the Desktop Effects wizard, select the third tab to find the checkbox.) This *might* be the fix to your problem.
    Thanks, but I had already tried this. It makes no difference.

I think the problem is the AMD propriety drivers for linux are pretty poor for 3D gaming. I'm hoping that the recent availability of Steam on Linux will be an incentive for AMD and that the next driver will offer a significant improvement in performance. But I shan't hold my breath

Beans

Well listen...

Linux was NEVER supposed to be used for gaming. I'm surprised that people actually figured it out and are starting to make decent ports for emulations and clouds like Steam(kudos to the makers!) but in all do respect, that a very good performance rate.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Open and Sourced View Post
    Well listen...

Linux was NEVER supposed to be used for gaming. I'm surprised that people actually figured it out and are starting to make decent ports for emulations and clouds like Steam(kudos to the makers!) but in all do respect, that a very good performance rate.
    Linux was really never supposed to be for like 90% of what we use it for nowadays anyway. The real problem is the Catalyst drivers. Even in the Phoronix benchmarks the Catalyst cards dont get close, even when running more powerful cards than the bench-marked Nvidia cards.

I gave up my old Radeon 6870 OC card for a weaker Nvidia GTX 460 and my performance went UP leaps and bounds in Linux, while being slightly weaker with my Windows games. It's annoying, as I have always been an AMD supporter and customer, but the performance difference is almost too much to ignore. The only thing you can really hope for is for it all to change.

Btw, this is mostly my personal experience with the cards. The Nvidia Geforce 460 GTX is the first Nvidia card I have purchased since the old Riva TNT 2 (been using AMD/ATI since that card). My geforce is running Killing Floor maxed out, and smoothly (which was something that I could not achieve under Linux with my Radeon... despite being a UT2004 engine game).
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by holastickboy View Post
    I gave up my old Radeon 6870 OC card for a weaker Nvidia GTX 460 and my performance went UP leaps and bounds in Linux, while being slightly weaker with my Windows games. It's annoying, as I have always been an AMD supporter and customer, but the performance difference is almost too much to ignore. The only thing you can really hope for is for it all to change.

Btw, this is mostly my personal experience with the cards. The Nvidia Geforce 460 GTX is the first Nvidia card I have purchased since the old Riva TNT 2 (been using AMD/ATI since that card). My geforce is running Killing Floor maxed out, and smoothly (which was something that I could not achieve under Linux with my Radeon... despite being a UT2004 engine game).
    Thanks holastickboy, this is what I figured. Ironically this is my first ever AMD/ATI graphics card, prior to that I've always used Nvidia. But if AMD don't get their act together then I will almost certainly be going back to Nvidia for my next graphics card.

PS Don't feed the troll

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieApocalypse View Post
    Thanks holastickboy, this is what I figured. Ironically this is my first ever AMD/ATI graphics card, prior to that I've always used Nvidia. But if AMD don't get their act together then I will almost certainly be going back to Nvidia for my next graphics card.

PS Don't feed the troll
    Sad that there would even be trolls on Linux forums. Sign of the times lol
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans

Hey guys,

I can confirm this problem which makes it near to impossible for me to play 3d gamed on both my Desktop (6670) and my Notebook (A-8 CPU) . AMD seems to be still a bad choice on linux when it comes to gaming. My last Nvidia was a Geforce 4200 TI . But I also had the famous Riva TNT 2...hehe.
    Well, seems I gotta change on my Desktop again..