Thread: Yes, Another "RPG Maker for Linux" Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, Another "RPG Maker for Linux" Thread

Well, here goes:

Looking for a Ubuntu/Linux game design platform in the vein of the Win$ RPG Maker series. I have googled around a lot, followed many links in this very forum but most of those were in very old threads and were either defunct or just refused to load.

I am using Precise x64 with Gnome classic. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ntzrmtthihu777; December 22nd, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Beans

Re: Yes, Another "RPG Maker for Linux" Thread

The most active one I know of is EasyRPG, it's aiming to pretty much replace RPG Maker (both editor for making new games, and player for playing genereated and existing RPG Maker games) and seems to be still active.

Beans
    Distro

Very interesting, but I am not familiar with github (my installation experience is limited to aptitude, synaptic, .deb, and compiling from source) do you think you could explain the process?
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Beans

isn't there tons of them on Ubuntu Software Center.

Beans

Open and sourced: I'm not seeing many, if you could point them out, I'd appreciate it.

ntz: If you can compile from source, you're most of the way there.

Github is basically a way of storing source code online. If you go to the Editor repository for example, you can just click on the "ZIP" button and download the source code as a single file. Then just extract it, and follow the instructions in the INSTALL file to run.

Github can actually do a lot more than that (such as allowing people to contribute), but for now what I've said should be enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for sharing the project, I totally want to check it out. Linux would be a great environment for an RPG Maker like project, as there are so many programs that would compliment it, such as GIMP, Audacious, etc.
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans
    Distro

wrong button, delete if you would, mods.

foo
    Technomancy

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sofox View Post
    Open and sourced: I'm not seeing many, if you could point them out, I'd appreciate it.

ntz: If you can compile from source, you're most of the way there.

Github is basically a way of storing source code online. If you go to the Editor repository for example, you can just click on the "ZIP" button and download the source code as a single file. Then just extract it, and follow the instructions in the INSTALL file to run.

Github can actually do a lot more than that (such as allowing people to contribute), but for now what I've said should be enough.
    Very interesting, but I am having issue compiling it-- scratch that. I needed valac, a compiler for vala. never had heard of it before.

Seems to not be operational yet, I can't get it to do anything but create a project. I will have to look at their docs, it seems.
    Last edited by ntzrmtthihu777; January 2nd, 2013 at 04:21 AM.
    Technomancy