Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Cannot change screen resolution 800X600

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Cannot change screen resolution 800X600

Hi!, yoramdavid,

You Posted:
    So that is just the installer? How do I run it?
    Same as any other program from a terminal, just its name :
    Code:
    sudo flashplugin-installer
    Though you may need to make it executable first:
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+x flashplugin-installer
    But bear in mind I am only guessing, keep an eye out for any other error messages.

The 404 errors are either because your internet connection was not working properly, or there are faults in your Software Sources list. Whether it is important, depends on what you are trying to install from 'diesch-testing' & 'guiseppe-iuculano'.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I find it much easier to install Flash by enabling the "partner" repository in Ubuntu then running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
    That has worked flawlessly for me.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, yoramdavid,

You Posted: Same as any other program from a terminal, just its name :
    Code:
    sudo flashplugin-installer
    Though you may need to make it executable first:
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+x flashplugin-installer
    But bear in mind I am only guessing, keep an eye out for any other error messages.

The 404 errors are either because your internet connection was not working properly, or there are faults in your Software Sources list. Whether it is important, depends on what you are trying to install from 'diesch-testing' & 'guiseppe-iuculano'.

Chao!, bogan.
    Hi Bogan.

I did not succeed with those codes, I do not think what I have downloaded coincides with these codes.
    But I think it was installed, it just does not work. I used those codes to install:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
    Worse now, nothing plays as flash and it freezes the firefox and the computer with a script error on firefox if I open a page with flash video.
    Code:
    Um script desta página pode estar ocupado, ou pode ter parado de responder. Pode parar o script agora, ou aguardar que o script termine.

Script: http://s.ytimg.com/yts/jsbin/www-watch-extra-vflGsPx5A.js:1
    I understand it is from the youtube website or from firefox trying to play a youtube video.

'guiseppe-iuculano' was to install kompozer but it failed.
    I do not remember what 'diesch-testing' is for.

I'll have to do more research on those on the net.

Thank you.
    Yoram
    Yoram David

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I find it much easier to install Flash by enabling the "partner" repository in Ubuntu then running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    That has worked flawlessly for me.
    Hi SeijiSensei,

Unfortunately not for me.
    After doing that, I got a script error on firefox if I try to play a flash video on youtube.
    Code:
    Um script desta página pode estar ocupado, ou pode ter parado de responder. Pode parar o script agora, ou aguardar que o script termine.

Script: http://s.ytimg.com/yts/jsbin/www-watch-extra-vflGsPx5A.js:1

I understand it is from the youtube website or from firefox trying to play a youtube video.
    Which freezes the firefox and the computer until I close that tab.

Thank you.
    Yoram
    Yoram David

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, yoramdavid,

You Posted:
    I do not remember what 'diesch-testing' is for.
    I use the 'diesch-testing ppa' for 'Classicmenu-Indicator' to give menus with Unity.

If those error messages worry you, it is possible to remove them with PPA-Purge.

I tried running 'flashplugin-installer', both from dash and from a terminal, but neither did anything and the later said it could not be found, though Synaptic and Dash both showed it.

In another 12.10 installation Synaptic listed 'adobe-flashplugin' as not installed and when I tried to get Synaptic to install it, there was a warning that it needed to uninstall 'flashplugin-installer' first.

So that makes things even more confused than ever.

But at least it confirms that Synaptic will tell you what is actually installed.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, yoramdavid,

You Posted:I use the 'diesch-testing ppa' for 'Classicmenu-Indicator' to give menus with Unity.

If those error messages worry you, it is possible to remove them with PPA-Purge.

I tried running 'flashplugin-installer', both from dash and from a terminal, but neither did anything and the later said it could not be found, though Synaptic and Dash both showed it.

In another 12.10 installation Synaptic listed 'adobe-flashplugin' as not installed and when I tried to get Synaptic to install it, there was a warning that it needed to uninstall 'flashplugin-installer' first.

So that makes things even more confused than ever.

But at least it confirms that Synaptic will tell you what is actually installed.

Chao!, bogan.
    Oh, yes. Classic-menu indicator I installed it but found out it does not work under KDE.
    I do not like the menu of KDE, installed Lubuntu-desktop, I like it better.
    These ppa, I removed them from the Program manager as with ppa-purge I get errors of ppa not found...
    No more errors now.

Thank you.
    Yoram
    Yoram David

Beans
    Distro

I was quite upset about that script error every time I would open youtube or a flash web-page (which freezes the firefox and the computer until I would close that tab) I mentioned on an earlier post, so I tried to track what was the cause.

I deactivated all my extras in Firefox and restarted firefox, opened youtube and same script error. Same behaviour but different error message.

Then I deactivated all the languages and dictionnary extensions, nothing changed. I then deactivated the flash plugin along with all the other plugins and no more script error.

I removed any installation of flash I had and then Installed the flashplugin-installer.
    I knew that with it I could assist some content of youtube.

I then did research on the web as suggested by bogan for threats about flash with the solved label again, not that I had not done it already before.
    I found one that solved my problem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...f=175&t=104222 which mentioned the mint-flashplugin-10.3. I installed the mint-flashplugin-10.3 but left the flashplugin-installer unlike mauromol did (and I am not trying anything else just in case things go wrong!) and tested:
    Results: flash works on all youtube I tested so far and other web-pages I tested it with that have flash for menus or animations.
    The Nvidia X server Settings still cannot display the page "X server display Configuration" but I can live with that since I have the resolution I want and flash works

I restarted Firefox, re-enabled all the extras, rebooted the computer and it is OK.

It seemed so easy after everything we tried that I could not believe it!
    I hope it stays like that for a long time now.

Thank you all for your help, I am now going to mark this as solved.

Regards,
    Yoram
    Last edited by yoramdavid; March 4th, 2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Corrected info.
    Yoram David

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Cannot change screen resolution 800X600

I found out today that the videos on facebook do not work, it says there is no flash plugin installed.
    Therefore this threat is not solved 100%. I see no option to mark as unsolved, so I'll olive it as it is.

Yoram David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi
    I have the same issue with screen resolution. I am now unable to change it from 640 x 480. Ive followed this thread and more, and ended with the same results as yoram. I'm still not yet about to do a reinstall, because there is too much reconfiguring to do.
    I'm using a Samsung NP 300ESX-S01 IN. Intel CoreI5, with Nvidia 610M optimus card. Ubuntu 12.04 and gnome desktop (because I didn't like Unity). System is regularly updated so no issues there, I suppose.
    My problem was only that Google earth was not able to run, however had no issues with youtube videos etc. I had read in some posts that Nvidia drivers were causing problems in runnng google earth, and found that the Nvidia driver was not in use. I have been happily using this same installation with no issues of screen resolution for the past about 4 months.
    The problem started when I tried to get and install Nvidia drivers - this because Google earth would not load. I'm not using this for games or anything , except need to use Google Earth a lot. I have tried the 173 drivers and removed them, I have downloaded drivers from Noobs and tried to install via command line, but still no joy. I downloaded the Nvidia latest driver from their website, and installed it after stopping my xserver. I still have the same problem.
    Screenshot of Synaptec shows only 310 drivers are in use, 173 is deselected and noveau also not in use. I have tried changing the xserver settings as suggested in the Nvidia drivers dialogbox I got, and the only thing that happens is that it writes the configuration to a new file.
    I also get a message from System Settings>Hardware>additional drivers that Samsung Backlight driver is activated but not in use. I tried a Live CD and my laptop worked well with a live CD of 12.10. I have no problem on Windows 8 which is the alternate install (sadly, some programs still need Windows).
    My System > Displays does not have any option of changing screen resolution, and so can only see half the things in a screen.
    I have attached screenshots, so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Yasho
    Nvidia Settings error.pngSynaptic Screenshot.pngSamsung Drivers not in use.png
    Last edited by Yasho; May 7th, 2013 at 02:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks. The problem was that due to Nvidia, and intel drivers being both in use, I could not get the resolution. Solved with a friend of mine.
    In any case, now I am running 13.04, and no problems with Google earth or with the display resolution. VIrtual box support is also better in this release.
    Bye

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567