Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I finally get the hype about rsync

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: I finally get the hype about rsync

I prefer rdiff-backup.
    It can store multiple versions of a file using very little extra space because it only saves changes.
    Here's an article about it :

http://arstechnica.com/articles/colu...20060202.ars/2

Beans

For full system backup I use sbackup developed in last googel summer of code program. For home directory backup I use rdiff-backup automatically scheduled every week. For mp3s backup from fat32 partition I use grsync (gui for rsync) and I do it manually once in a while.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the recommendation, kabus. Maybe in a few months I'll post a thread called
    I finally get the hype about rdiff-backup
    In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my newfound friend rsync.

Beans

grsync worked really well for me. it's the gnome gui for rsync.

btw: I use it to copy files to my FAT32 disk.
    Last edited by OffHand; July 5th, 2006 at 10:02 PM.
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have grsync installed, too, actually, but I don't use it. Does it have a verbose mode? In other words, does it list what files it's copying as it's copying them?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I have grsync installed, too, actually, but I don't use it. Does it have a verbose mode? In other words, does it list what files it's copying as it's copying them?
    yes it does
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not."

Beans

I recently discovered this also, for sending my Music and Photo directories to an external USB hard disc. I'm interested though, what do you mean by
    One thing that I found out the hard way, though--don't use rsync on FAT32. It's got to be Ext3 or HFS+.
    I ask because my USB HD is using FAT32 (I want to be able to plug it into windows PCs) and I have noticed that a lot of folders seem to copy over even if I haven't made any changes at all! In fact I used the Size Only flag to stop the contents of these directories from being copied over, but the name of the folder STILL gets mentioned in verbose mode

Having said all that it does get the basic job done

I also got Grsync for a graphical front end, which works ok.

EDIT : Geez, that's been mentioned 4 posts ago while I was writing this!
    Keep Kickin'

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by pchr
    I recently discovered this also, for sending my Music and Photo directories to an external USB hard disc. I'm interested though, what do you mean by

I ask because my USB HD is using FAT32 (I want to be able to plug it into windows PCs) and I have noticed that a lot of folders seem to copy over even if I haven't made any changes at all! In fact I used the Size Only flag to stop the contents of these directories from being copied over, but the name of the folder STILL gets mentioned in verbose mode

Having said all that it does get the basic job done

I also got Grsync for a graphical front end, which works ok.

EDIT : Geez, that's been mentioned 4 posts ago while I was writing this!
    There are Ext3 drivers for Windows so you might want to look into that unless it's not only your machine that you want it to be compatible with.
    I think he means checking if the transfer actually copied the files bit-for-bit successfully. Sort of like how you should check the md5 checksum of iso's you download.
    That is exactly what I meant.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

subsonic_shadow, it's good to hear that grsync is verbose. Maybe I'll start using that. I kind of like the command-line, though. I've having a bit of trouble getting RSyncX to work on my wife's Mac OS X, though, so she'll be stuck with the command-line for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by pchr

Well, that's basically the problem I ran into. I used rsync to back up my wife's files on her (then-FAT32) external hard drive, but when I ran it again, it wanted to copy everything all over again, even though there were no changes made.

Once we formatted her drive to HFS+, it worked the way it was supposed to.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

where can you get these ext3 drivers for windows? i googled it but all i see is ext2 drivers for windows...
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast