Thread: Amnesia on Steam won't launch.

Beans

Amnesia on Steam won't launch.

When I launch Amnesia from the Steam beta I get a blank/see-through window called Amnesia: The Dark Descent Launcher but there is nothing in it and nothing further happens.

I tried updating my Nvidia drivers but still nothing. There are no error messages either.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by RedMartin; December 22nd, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

Beans

Re: Amnesia on Steam won't launch.

My friend, you have to run WINE.

Otherwise you have to retain the fact that Linux was NEVER suppose to run games.

Beans

RedMartin, The launcher issue from steam link is a know bug. There is a workaround who consist to launch the game binary directly from the console:
    Code:
    ~/.steam/root/SteamApps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/Amnesia.bin
    Have now to wait an update for steam. Hope this tips will help you

Beans

Actually found another cure. Simply uncheck the Enable Steam Community option.

Launcher worked a treat after that.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Open and Sourced View Post

Otherwise you have to retain the fact that Linux was NEVER suppose to run games.
    This is simply incorrect with both points made.

1) Amnesia does work on Linux, in fact it was native to linux before even steam came along (look at the Ubuntu software center, or even check out past Humble bundles, it's all there). Your statement is completely false as it's been native even since the original release of Windows and Mac clients. There has NEVER even been a time where you have had to use WINE to run Amnesia...

2) Stating that Linux was never meant to run games is also a weird statement. When it was first made in the early 90s it was also not meant to do almost everything it does now (including being a web server, and last time I checked more web servers run Linux than any other operating system...)

I've noticed that you have stated on other topics in these forums the same thing; it's just not true, and doesn't do anyone any good to be spreading things that are simply not true. Windows wasn't made for gaming when it was first launched too, but it has had numerous fixes and improvements over the years to get it to where it is today (and this is the same process that is being done in Linux currently). The fact is the Linux can play games very well (and Valve has made numerous posts about how much faster things like Left 4 Dead run better on Linux than Windows), but we haven't seen many commercial games on the platform for financial reasons, not because it's not mean to, or because it's more difficult (because it simply isn't).

To the original poster, good to see you got it running. I've played it through from a previous Humble Bundle purchase and it's a damn good game! Scary as all hell too!
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by holastickboy View Post
    I've noticed that ...
    I've noticed that as well. A lot of posts made in the space of a couple of hours.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Open and Sourced View Post

Are you serious do you know what you are talking about i don't have WINE installed and Amnesia runs perfectly if you are on a 32bit pc the only thing you have to do to play Amnesia is install it but if you are on 64bit pc then you have to run this extra command first:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32nss-mdns
    and on 64bit this is needed for more games not only Amnesia.

If Linux was NEVER suppose to run games then this http://www.ouya.tv/
    and this http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/12/11...e-killer-plans
    would never happen.