Thread: New laptop, which one to buy to enjoy a great kubuntu experience?

Beans

New laptop, which one to buy to enjoy a great kubuntu experience?

My current laptop is nearing the end of it's lifetime and may very well be past it. I wonder which notebook is a good, solid choice of high enough quality to last a couple of years and will work fine with linux / kubuntu.

I was eyeing the Zenbook, but came across a couple of reviews complaining about the bad keyboard.

Looking for something reasonably portable (e.g. 13")

Also I try to stay away from Apple (read Air).

Every answer is appreciated, even if you feel really strongly about Mac give it a go, I might give in, who knows ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New laptop, which one to buy to enjoy a great kubuntu experience?

For me there's Thinkpad and everything else. I really like have 2 pointing devices and the nice keyboard. I have the older series T61 and it's perfect with *buntu. You might take a look at the hardware forum. One of the stickies is 'laptop compatibility list', another is 'laptop incompatibility list'. I had an Asus EeePC netbook which was plug 'n' play.

-I'd stay away from the glossy/shiny screen; they seem to reflect overhead or wall mounted lights too much and really show smudges or finger prints.

-I'd avoid 'hybrid' graphics, some are able to get them to work but they seem like a work in progress at this point.

-I'd make sure I could disable 'secure boot' if it's present.

-Personally I'd prefer to avoid the complications of UEFI BIOS if possible but it can be made to work with a little research.

Beans

great, thanks for your reply, I'll look into thinkpads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gletscher View Post
    great, thanks for your reply, I'll look into thinkpads
    And not long after I posted that I read that new Thinkpads do not necessarily live up to their predecessors' reputation. I like the UltraNav pointing setup on the Thinkpads but I believe a similar configuration is available on some Dells and HPs. Toshiba has a pretty good reputation for durability and linux friendliness.
    Last edited by kurt18947; December 27th, 2012 at 02:32 PM.