Thread: New install, mouse and keyboard don't work

Beans

New install, mouse and keyboard don't work

Just tried installing 12.10 (using Wubi). The installation in Windows goes fine (aside from Wubi only putting the files GRUB needs on the Windows C: drive, which isn't my boot drive, so GRUB can't find them, but I just have to put them on the right drive, so that's not the problem).

The actual problem is that my mouse and keyboard don't work once I get to the login screen. Not at all (can't even toggle num lock or anything on the keyboard). A tiny wireless (has its own USB dongle) mouse/keyboard combo does work, but it's FAR too uncomfortable (and slow) for prolonged use - it's designed mostly for presentations (but it is good enough to use it to try to fix my proper mouse and keyboard). I seem to recall having the same problem in 12.04 (didn't play around with that version much) but not before. It also doesn't work running 12.10 from a USB drive. I've already tried using various solutions dredged up by Google and none I've managed to find work. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
    8GB RAM (Corsair... although that probably doesn't matter)
    Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 570
    Various HDDs and an SSD (I'm trying to run Ubuntu from a Wubi virtual partiton on a WD HDD... again, probably not important).
    Triple boot between Windows XP/Windows 7x64/Ubuntu 12.10 amd64 (using Wubi)

The keyboard and mouse that don't work are a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate and a Razer Naga Epic (I've tried both wired and wireless for the mouse, it doesn't seem to make a difference).
    Last edited by konedima; December 20th, 2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added triple boot information

Beans

Re: New install, mouse and keyboard don't work

Update: I tried plugging the keyboard/mouse into different ports. Surprisingly, it worked. Both worked when plugged into my USB3 ports (unfortunately I only have two, and better things to use them with, so not really a permanent solution). The mouse would work sporadically when plugged into one of my front USB2 ports, but stopped entirely after a few minutes.

However, after installing the Nvidia drivers (from their website, I couldn't seem to find a way to do in a more Ubuntu-like manner (such as additional drivers or grabbing it from a repository) that didn't make it so Unity didn't load after I logged in - but I digress) - after installing the Nvidia drivers, the mouse will work reliably when plugged into the front USB ports, but the keyboard won't - it receives power, but won't accept any input (can't even toggle num lock)... wait, possibly never mind, while I was typing this, for kicks I decided to try plugging my keyboard into one of the front ports, it didn't work and the mouse stopped responding until I plugged it into one of my USB3 ports. Might be fixed on a reboot. I'm too tired to test that part right now.

Could it be something relating to chipset drivers or something? I know the USB3 ports aren't controlled by the chipset - the chipset I have doesn't natively support USB3.