Thread: Moving a selection in GIMP

Beans

Moving a selection in GIMP

I'm trying to edit a picture of the Burger King logo and am having trouble.
    It's my first time using GIMP, so I'm kind of lost.

I managed to cut out what I wanted to cut out. But now, I'd like to move the K next to the B and enlarge them, so that they fill up that entire space.

How would I go about doing this? I tried using the scissor tool (which is really neat), but I couldn't understand GIMP's manual. I tried pressing alt and other keyboard variations to move the K, but it just wouldn't work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Moving a selection in GIMP

Right click your selection and in the menu, select "Select -> Float." The default keystroke for this, I think, is Ctrl+Shift+L. It pulls your selected area up into a temporary layer so that you can move it around.

In some other applications, just using a move tool on a selection does this automatically, but GIMP allows the move tool to be used on the selection itself, rather than its contents, for adjustments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have been looking for this quick thing myself for a while
    What I was actually doing was copying the selection and pating it onto a new layer but your solution seem to be a shorcut to that

Can't wait to try it
    Ubuntu 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

After selecting it hold down CTRL + ALT then you can move the selection around with the mouse.

Beans
    Distro

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.