Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    None that I am aware of I'm afraid
    Ok, I guess I will have to ask the guy who created the ppa.

Beans

Hi, I have compiled ffmpeg from source using FakeOutdoorsman's excellent tutorial. Now how I do I make the packaging system (apt-get) to use it instead of the system version? What I mean is that suppose I install vlc from apt-get it will want to install libavcodec or something as dependencies, but instead of installing redundant versions of these dependencies is there a way (sumlink?) to make the system know to use the libraries from the compiled version of ffmpeg instead ( I don't want to have to compile every application that may depend on some parts of ffmpeg)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 14th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Ok, I guess I will have to ask the guy who created the ppa.
    There has been talk for some time about incorporating the mplayer-vaapi code into the mainstream MPlayer code but I have heard nothing concrete for quite some time .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: FFmpeg build & other apps

Hi, I have compiled ffmpeg from source using FakeOutdoorsman's excellent tutorial. Now how I do I make the packaging system (apt-get) to use it instead of the system version? What I mean is that suppose I install vlc from apt-get it will want to install libavcodec or something as dependencies, but instead of installing redundant versions of these dependencies is there a way (sumlink?) to make the system know to use the libraries from the compiled version of ffmpeg instead ( I don't want to have to compile every application that may depend on some parts of ffmpeg)
    Well if you followed the guide exactly then you built a static ffmpeg so no shared libraries & that's that.

If you built ffmpeg as shared then after an ldconfig apps would use those or some of those shared libs for better, worse, or no difference. Personally can't see the point of doing that.
    The repo packages were built off of libav, not much to be gained by having those apps use ffmpeg shared libs. Plus at times the major versions of those libs are different, libav is always behind ffmpeg so the apps won't use anyway (if vlc is expecting a .53 & you've built a .54, ect.

Far better to rebuild some sources using the static ffmpeg build or in some cases a shared ffmpeg build (out of path is better for shared

(- as far as package deps ect., last I checked checkinstall is limited to 2 "provides" so again you wouldn't be able to replace in cases where a app deps on more than 1 ffmpeg/libav libs
    Last edited by mc4man; April 14th, 2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: a #

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Well if you followed the guide exactly then you built a static ffmpeg so no shared libraries & that's that.

If you built ffmpeg as shared then after an ldconfig apps would use those or some of those shared libs for better, worse, or no difference. Personally can't see the point of doing that.
    The repo packages were built off of libav, not much to be gained by having those apps use ffmpeg shared libs. Plus at times the major versions of those libs are different, libav is always behind ffmpeg so the apps won't use anyway (if vlc is expecting a .53 & you've built a .54, ect.

Far better to rebuild some sources using the static ffmpeg build or in some cases a shared ffmpeg build (out of path is better for shared

(- as far as package deps ect., last I checked checkinstall is limited to 2 "provides" so again you wouldn't be able to replace in cases where a app deps on more than 1 ffmpeg/libav libs
    Hi, I actually did build ffmpeg with shared enabled. There may not be much to gain in Ubuntu, but I actually was doing this in Debian Sid. In Sid I for some reasons couldn't install the libav -extras files (from debian multimedia) without removing almost all my multimedia apps but I couldn't do some conversions with the repo version of ffmpeg (self build works fine). I know this is not really a debian forum but I figure my question is generic enough that the answer should work in Debian as well,.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 14th, 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Beans

Hi, I actually did build ffmpeg with shared enabled. There may not be much to gain in Ubuntu, but I actually was doing this in Debian Sid. In Sid I for some reasons couldn't install the libav -extras files (from debian multimedia) without removing almost all my multimedia apps but I couldn't do some conversions with the repo version of ffmpeg(self build works fine). I know this is not really a debian forum but I figure my question is generic enough that the answer should work in Debian as well,.
    Well not using Debian can only take a quick look. It appears debian-multimedia (sid) uses FFmpeg as a source, (a relatively outdated version) & doesn't provide extra packages.
    Sources that build off of D-M's ffmpeg & available from D-M like vlc could be removed if you install the extra packages from Debian sid that are based on libav.
    Anyway, if you were using the ffmpeg binary for your 'conversions' then there is no need to build as shared.

Otherwise, in regards to your generic question,
    Your self built ffmpeg using checkinstall isn't going to satisfy the install deps of already built packages.
    You can either take the ffmpeg source, add a debian folder, adjust as needed & package build or in the past i've used equivs to produce dummy dep packages. ( in this case the former is likely less trouble.

Again I wouldn't bother, I'd leave the provided packages as is & create your own as needed.
    For Ex. I've a current ffmpeg-static in /usr/local for use of the binary(s) & an FFmpeg release source as shared in /opt for use with sources that can benefit from like audacious (also built to /opt

Beans

Hi, Mc4man,

You are probably right that it can be problematic to do this in SID as there seems to be some really crazy packaging going on like removing libavcodec or libvpx would remove Gnome along with a bunch of other things. I am not sure how that can be.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 17th, 2013 at 11:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unless you need fdk_aac (which can't be distributed with the ffmpeg binary for licensing reasons), I'd say just grab a static build from the ffmpeg download page and add it into your $PATH, and use the libraries from the repos.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.

Beans

abcde update: Fix for newer versions of eyeD3

Latest update for abcde fixes support for newer versions of eyeD3:

http://code.google.com/p/abcde/source/detail?r=379

Could perhaps do with some cleverness to cover older versions of eyeD3, looks like the eyeD3 developer drew a line in the sand with the latest changes from 0.7.0 onwards:

http://eyed3.nicfit.net/changelog.html

Beans

A new cd ripper is about to be commited to abcde:

http://code.google.com/p/abcde/issues/detail?id=92

The patch at the bottom is working well on my system, I would be interested to hear how others go...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast