Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 108

Thread: FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    315
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Smile FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

    This thread has been started to provide those in the know, and those wanting to know, a place to discuss developments, changes, tips, tricks, one liners, scripts in ffmpeg, mplayer, vlc and similar associated programs. Submissions and questions alike. If posting something different / new in this thread, on replying go advanced and edit the title accordingly, also use the tag facility to assist with searches

    I'll kick things off with a few links:

    FFMpeg
    http://ffmpeg.org & http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki

    Mplayer
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu

    VLC
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
    Last edited by Merrattic; December 23rd, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    6,932

    Re: FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

    Thanks for starting this thread Merratic! I would like to kick off with a great link:

    Welcome to the FFmpeg Bug Tracker and Wiki
    https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki

    Some great info specific to Ubuntu and FFmpeg, some of it based on information formerly hosted on these Forums. Of great interest currently is the new ability of FFmpeg to burn subtitles into video streams:

    How to burn subtitles into the video
    https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/...%20the%20video

    I have given this filter a run and for my simple needs it works very, very well.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Beans
    13,658
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

    This is great. Discussion of new developments is always welcome.

    If anyone asks a support question within this thread I hope they will be encouraged to start a thread of their own in which we can link back to the information in this thread or the other fantastic documentation available.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    315
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Subtitles in FFmpeg

    @ Andrew.46 re subtitles

    How to setup the subtitle file in the first place? Is there an associated program for this? I would use this for example in screen recordings to add text to a tutorial.....

    EDIT: found myself, use either subtitleeditor or gaupol both in the main repos
    Last edited by Merrattic; December 22nd, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Beans
    13,658
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

    Quote Originally Posted by Merrattic View Post
    @ Andrew.46 re subtitles

    How to setup the subtitle file in the first place? Is there an associated program for this? I would use this for example in screen recordings to add text to a tutorial.....

    EDIT: found myself, use either subtitleeditor or gaupol both in the main repos
    Please do not use this thread to ask specific questions.

    If someone is searching the forums for an answer about subtitle files, how are they expected to find it in a thread titled "FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos" ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    315
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Talking Re: FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

    Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Please do not use this thread to ask specific questions.

    If someone is searching the forums for an answer about subtitle files, how are they expected to find it in a thread titled "FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos" ?
    Hence why my starting post indicated that posters of new material should go advanced and then edit the title for their post.

    A search (especially if you pick "Beans" instead of "Threads") will return the post. (although in this case it was beaten to the top by your post )

    So please all new info posters, change the title of your post
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

    Quote Originally Posted by Merrattic View Post
    ... one liners
    OK
    Here is a one-liner.
    A way howto use neroAacEnc with FFmpeg.

    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "input" -c:v libx264 -crf 23 -preset medium -an output.mp4 -f wav - | neroAacEnc -if - -q 0.5 -ignorelength -of soundtrack.aac && MP4Box output.mp4 -add soundtrack.aac
    And the deluxe version:-

    Code:
    tempname=$(date +"%s"); \
    ffmpeg -i "input" \
    -c:v libx264 -crf 23 -preset medium -an output.mp4 \
    -f wav - | neroAacEnc -if - -q 0.5 -ignorelength -of $tempname.aac && \
    MP4Box output.mp4 -add $tempname.aac && \
    rm -f $tempname.aac
    Also for mkv:-

    Code:
    tempname=$(date +"%s"); \
    ffmpeg -i "input" \
    -c:v libx264 -crf 23 -preset medium -an $tempname.mkv \
    -f wav - | neroAacEnc -if - -q 0.5 -ignorelength -of $tempname.aac && \
    mkvmerge -o output.mkv $tempname.mkv $tempname.aac && \
    rm -f $tempname.mkv $tempname.aac

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Beans
    13,658
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

    Quote Originally Posted by ron999 View Post
    OK
    Here is a one-liner.
    A way howto use neroAacEnc with FFmpeg.

    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "input" -c:v libx264 -crf 23 -preset medium -an output.mp4 -f wav - | neroAacEnc -if - -q 0.5 -ignorelength -of soundtrack.aac && MP4Box output.mp4 -add soundtrack.aac
    And the deluxe version:-

    Code:
    tempname=$(date +"%s"); \
    ffmpeg -i "input" \
    -c:v libx264 -crf 23 -preset medium -an output.mp4 \
    -f wav - | neroAacEnc -if - -q 0.5 -ignorelength -of $tempname.aac && \
    MP4Box output.mp4 -add $tempname.aac && \
    rm -f $tempname.aac
    Also for mkv:-

    Code:
    tempname=$(date +"%s"); \
    ffmpeg -i "input" \
    -c:v libx264 -crf 23 -preset medium -an $tempname.mkv \
    -f wav - | neroAacEnc -if - -q 0.5 -ignorelength -of $tempname.aac && \
    mkvmerge -o output.mkv $tempname.mkv $tempname.aac && \
    rm -f $tempname.mkv $tempname.aac

    awesome, thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London
    Beans
    481
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

    HOW TO: concatenate MP4 files with h264 video & AAC audio without re-encoding.

    Note that this will only work on files with the same parameters - same frame rate, etc. This should be adaptable to other MPEG files (MPEG4/divx, MPEG2, MP3 or MP2 audio), though you'd have to change the bitstream filters.

    First, create some named pipes:

    Code:
    mkfifo temp1 temp2
    Then, you're going to need to transfer the videos to MPEG Transport Streams, which makes it possible to concatenate, and then do the actual concatenation using ffmpeg's concat protocol.

    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input1.mp4 -c copy -bsf h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts -y temp1 2> /dev/null & \
    ffmpeg -i input2.mp4 -c copy -bsf h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts -y temp2 2> /dev/null & \
    ffmpeg -f mpegts -i "concat:temp1|temp2" -c copy -absf aac_adtstoacs output.mp4
    As far as I know, you can use this to concatenate an arbitrary number of MP4 files, though I've not had a reason to try it on more than three files myself. I might whip up a bash script to reduce the typing needed.

    EDIT: also, it should be noted that you only need to use a transport stream because of the video. If you only have MP3 or AAC audio (even in an MP4 container) you should be able to feed them to the concat protocol as-is, withoutv mucking around with pipes.
    Last edited by evilsoup; December 22nd, 2012 at 05:07 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: FFmpeg Mplayer VLC - News & Howtos

    Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    HOW TO: concatenate MP4 files with h264 video & AAC audio without re-encoding.
    Hi
    For this type of file, doesn't MP4Box do the same thing?
    Code:
    MP4Box input1.mp4 -cat input2.mp4 -out output.mp4

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •