Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isn't it ironic...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb Re: Isn't it ironic...

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Samsung is among the Platinum Members of the Linux Foundation. What more can you ask?
    Interesting... I didn't know that. I was thinking that Samsung is just another big corporation only benefiting from Open Source (if Android is considered Open Source at all) and not giving anything to the community back. That's nice...
    But still... they haven't made an app for Linux to manage the phones. I guess its all about marketing or secret deals with MS.... who knows...
    Registered Linux User #534948

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Isn't it ironic...

Quote Originally Posted by lz1dsb View Post
    Interesting... I didn't know that. I was thinking that Samsung is just another big corporation only benefiting from Open Source (if Android is considered Open Source at all) and not giving anything to the community back. That's nice...
    But still... they haven't made an app for Linux to manage the phones. I guess its all about marketing or secret deals with MS.... who knows...
    I think it's much simpler then that. We have market share and the fragmentation jungle against us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Not surprised. The only thing Android and other Linux distros have in common is the kernel. Everything else above it is completely different.
    Also, Linux has like 1-5% of market share. I would do the same if I was them and I could only choose one platform to support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't buy Samsung then.

HTC does all OTA updates, I haven't needed to plug mine into a computer since I bought it, and that's including a major update (Android 2.3 - 4.0). It also plays nice when Linux when you want to transfer files, and they have some pretty neat developer tools that allow unlocking, rooting, and other things.... All Linux friendly.
    Last edited by Mikeb85; December 21st, 2012 at 08:09 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Well Samsung took the Linux kernel and then discriminates against Linux. Guess Linus should have given them the finger too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb Re: Isn't it ironic...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Don't buy Samsung then.

HTC does all OTA updates, I haven't needed to plug mine into a computer since I bought it, and that's including a major update (Android 2.3 - 4.0). It also plays nice when Linux when you want to transfer files, and they have some pretty neat developer tools that allow unlocking, rooting, and other things.... All Linux friendly.
    To be honest... I didn't know that fact when I bought that phone.
    Anyway, I think I read that Samsungs could do OTA updates too, I haven't tried it though...
    Registered Linux User #534948

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12