Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No updating allowed if any sources "untrusted"

Beans

Re: No updating allowed if any sources "untrusted"

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Synaptic will continue if you just click yes.
    No, there's only a Close button...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    The key given by myself and mcduck is for the Steam repo. The error you posted shows you need the Mate key too
    Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 68980A0EA10B4DE8

sudo apt-get update
    Thanks oldos2er. The Steam string you posted is truncated btw - McDuck's worked.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Horbo View Post
    No, there's only a Close button...
    Yeah you see that warning when you reload, you then close it, then click mark all upgrades (or check only those you want to upgrade) and click apply, it will give you a warning again, and you click yes and it will continue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Yeah you see that warning when you reload, you then close it, then click mark all upgrades (or check only those you want to upgrade) and click apply, it will give you a warning again, and you click yes and it will continue.
    I'd have to say for me personally the sources/updating/upgrading is one of the most confusing parts of Ubuntu.

After adding those keys I've just now run "sudo apt-get update" and it seems to have completed fine, then immediately opened Synaptic and clicked "Mark Upgrades" (Reload was greyed out), followed the prompts, and it says 2 new packages will be installed, and 207 will be upgraded.

Are that terminal command and Synaptic doing two different things? Is there a difference between update and upgrade?

If the solution to my problem was just a single command to fetch a listed key, I don't understand why apt-get/Synaptic doesn't just ask me if I want it to fetch the key when it comes up against that issue, and get it for me.

Would certainly make life easier for newbs.

EDIT: OT a bit, the Australian Ubuntu server is HORRIBLE. Slow, and keeps dropping out. I've had to switch over to the main one to stay sane - much, much better.
    Last edited by Horbo; December 21st, 2012 at 12:55 AM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

"update" means updating the database to determine the packages for which new versions are available. Upgrade means actually upgrading to new versions.

"sudo apt-get update" in the terminal is the same as "reloading" in synaptic. "sudo apt-get upgrade" means upgrading all packages for which new versions are available, it is the same as clicking "mark all upgrades" then click "apply" in synaptic.

"sudo apt-get update x" in the terminal is the same as "checking the box beside package x in synaptic (for upgrade) and click "apply".

gpg keys may be imported automatically or you may have to add them manually depending on the repository you add. I don't know if you are going to add many ppas, if you do there is a handy script call launchpad-getkeys (so that you don't need to remember the cryptic command that the others have just shown you in case for some reasons the gpg keys fail to import like it was back in 11.04 and 11.10) but you need to add a third party ppa to install it (webupd8) and it only works for ppas hosted by launchpad (don't know if steam is one of them)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; December 21st, 2012 at 01:07 AM.

Beans

Thanks monkeybrain, very useful info.

Beans

I just installed synaptic package manager and I could solve all my installation problems with respect Ubuntu12.04

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12