Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on VAIO Duo 11 Ultrabook

Beans

Question Ubuntu on VAIO Duo 11 Ultrabook

Is it possible to install Ubuntu on a VAIO Duo 11 Ultrabook? Is somebody did it with success?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu on VAIO Duo 11 Ultrabook

Is this an system with Intel SRT. That is usually what an Ultrabook is? And is it Windows 8?

Intel Smart Response Technology
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support...ts/chpsts/imsm
    Some general info in post #3
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2071242
    ubuntu 12.10 & Windows 8 oem Sony T & Intel SRT
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2090605

Sony Vaio [SOLVED] dual boot ubuntu 12.10 & windows 8 problem
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2094761
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi all,

I also have a Sony VAIO Duo 11 Ultrabook for which I'd like to install ubuntu alongside the existing windows 8 OS. I already tried some of the instructions on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI, but I can't seem to boot a live ubuntu.

Specifically I tried the following:

• got into a boot menu via the assist button (separate button to access UEFI / BIOS options I suppose)
    • accessed BIOS options: set secure boot to legacy, enabled boot from USB. Boot in UEFI mode
    • boot from live USB
      • prepared live USB using ubuntu secure remix 12.10 image in unetbootin (on another pc running an older distro of ubuntu). Did not change too much on the USB drive besides removing all files on it first, partioning was default FAT32

• from the boot menu via the assist button: tried to boot from USB

From this point on, my PC just froze. I also tried to set the BIOS option to boot in legacy (non-UEFI) mode, but this didn't make a difference.

Could it be that I can't boot from live USB due to the partioning of the USB drive? Or something else?

Thx in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Usually legacy mode means BIOS not UEFI. You want UEFI mode but not secure boot, but every UEFI menu is different and what settings are needed vary.

Did you also turn off fast boot?
    Did you download 64 bit version of 12.10?

Some have issues with brand of flash drive, some with USB3 ports, try USB2, some with issues on which installer was used to create flash drive. And some do not have a valid download.
    And those that seem to change one or more of these then seem to usually get it to work but we never know what the real issue was.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

You might have to get a burned disc. Since many of the Linux distro's are compact, you might have to be careful what your doing. It could end detrimental.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Usually legacy mode means BIOS not UEFI. You want UEFI mode but not secure boot, but every UEFI menu is different and what settings are needed vary.
    Tried UEFI boot first (as this is what I'd probably need to boot alongside an existing windows 8 partition), then I tried to boot using legacy mode, but this didn't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred
    Did you also turn off fast boot?
    Couldn't find such an option in the boot menu, so no.

Did you download 64 bit version of 12.10?
    Yes, I used the ubuntu-secured-remix 12.10 64-bit version.

Some have issues with brand of flash drive, some with USB3 ports, try USB2, some with issues on which installer was used to create flash drive. And some do not have a valid download.
    And those that seem to change one or more of these then seem to usually get it to work but we never know what the real issue was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open and Sourced
    You might have to get a burned disc. Since many of the Linux distro's are compact, you might have to be careful what your doing. It could end detrimental.
    I previously did all my ubuntu installs using a disk, but I wanted to use a live USB here because my VAIO doesn't have an optical drive. Perhaps I'll try to boot from CD using an external optical drive.

Don't have that external optical drive lying around here atm, so it might take some time before I can post an update.

thx already anyway

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi,

Just chiming in here.

I managed to get Ubuntu 12.10 working ALMOST perfectly since the 2012-11-21.

Everything almost works, however the multitouch errors out.

I might have to create a video tutorial on how to install Ubuntu 12.10 onto the device as it can be a bit of a PITA.

I bought this device for well under retail ($800 off) through a special coupon that the retailer provided.

Beans

I'd like to know how to get wireless working on this hardware. Does it work out of the box on Ubuntu? Cuz I installed the latest Puppy Linux and it didn't work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mwtzzz View Post
    I'd like to know how to get wireless working on this hardware. Does it work out of the box on Ubuntu? Cuz I installed the latest Puppy Linux and it didn't work.
    Answering my own question: yes it does work out of the box on Ubuntu 12.10. I downloaded the 64 bit iso, used the USB installer to make a bootable USB from it and it booted and worked without any problems.

Beans

I can confirm that pretty much everything works out of the box. Aside from the usual gripe about the stupid "mouse" thing, there are two things that don't work for me, and I'm hoping someone has solved these issues.

The first, as mentioned by another poster, is the touchscreen. It will work for about 3 seconds and then timeout or something. It shows up in "xinput list" as "N-trig DuoSense id=10 [slave pointer (2)]" and one in a while I can get it to scroll whatever the active window is and "xinput test 10" will sometimes register for a second before it stops.

The second is that what should be the middle mouse button doesn't work. This is INCREDIBLY infuriating, since that's what I want to use to paste. If you "xinput test" it, then holding and scrolling up/down with the pointer gives you the correct buttons 5 and 6 (IIRC) but just pressing it on its own gives you NOTHING. Has anyone been able to fix these?

If I can't fix both these issues, I have to say that it's probably going to get sent back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast