Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any vapers out there

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Any vapers out there

I've been thinking about upgrading to a tank/mod system for regular use. I really don't care what the thing looks like so long as I can get a nic hit when I need it. I'm kind of tired of the batteries of the cig-like systems dying on me as well as goofing around with the cartos.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Most users will probably move on to more practical/economical systems after a while. Pre-filled carts and tiny batteries are a bit of a chore, and quite expensive. I use one of those odyssey units from totally wicked, as it's solid and has a massive capacity. They've also nailed the consistency by using a cartomiser and tank; I avoid cartomisers on their own. I mix my own liquid using PG, Glycerine, and nicotine - but no flavourings, and it's very cheap.

Regarding the comment about vaping not being smoking cessation - you're right, it isn't. You cut out the carcinogenic smoke (assuming the heating coils and burnt padding are ok), but there's no guarantee it won't cause other complications down the road. Patches/gum/mints are better at helping cut it out completely, which is always recommended. It's just a good alternative for those who can't, or don't want to quit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

odyssey.
    That's interesting.
    They certainly bang on about the quality.

How come a cartomizer and tank?
    Does the tank constantly keep the cart topped up?
    How's the battery?
    What is the big deal about the end cap..... is it just to keep dust out?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's not particularly cheap, but it's well built. A downside might be the fact that it's smooth steel; heavy and smooth enough to slip through your hands. Not a problem for me, but I imagine it would be for smaller folk. The tank basically slowly feeds the cartomiser, so you don't get the flooded atomiser problem. The end cap is probably the filling attachment, which you don't need to use when filling, it just makes it more fool-proof. The cartomisers are cheap, too; there was an offer, and they worked out at 70p each.

The battery life is the weak point, in my opinion (I'm used to much bigger, uglier units) - but at least they are cheap batteries. I'd rather they'd made it bigger, and opted for batteries with twice the capacity. I suppose there's no reason they can't sell expanded chambers later on, but I have no idea if they will. If you can hack vaping from something that weighs 135g, and you're in it for the long haul, it's worth a go.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just ordered The Bolt from ecigwizard.

http://www.ecigwizard.com/the-bolt-m...body-only.html

It's effectively a battery case with a button switch and a 510 connector.

I ummed & ahhed re a lavatube, or Tornado tank but figured the simplicity of the bolt was the way to go.
    The variable voltage kit is clearly interesting, but I can just imagine the electronics failing.
    The worst that can happen with the bolt is a bit of soldering.

The tank is the re-buildable Vivi Nova kit 2.5, with 2 spare atomizer heads
    2 x IMR 1100mah 18500 batteries
    1mm & 2mm wick
    0.16mm Nichrome resistance wire
    Trustfire charger

£67 in total....... ouch!...... but not too bad considering £30 was for the batteries and charger.

I hope they ship today, so it can travel to Frog over the weekend.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That should be fine; that's all most of the mods are, anyhow - fancy branding the same old kit, with minor changes. Variable voltage is good, although I only ever used it to compensate for an ageing atomiser.

Good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, I saw a vid stating the VV kit could extract max performance out of the last 25% of the battery.

I saw somebody saying that these batteries don't have memory.
    Hmmmm.... that will be good for this setup, cos it means I could swap them and re-charge, starting from last 25%.

How have you found these batteries cos I think you use the 18500 in the odessey no?

I read they could take 500 re-charges.
    Sounds good but presumably optimistic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yeah, batteries don't really last that long.

On average, if I'm only swapping out two batteries, I'll expect to get a month or two out of them. They still work, they just aren't anywhere near as good! It really depends how much you use the things - I'm a relatively heavy user.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes...... I don't know how they calculate cycles.
    I went on a couple of decent battery sites, and they all quote 500 cycles.

However; when you read the tech details.... the IMR batteries don't chemically respond well to high drain conditions.
    They may be able to deliver reasonable ampage (and the ads call them high drain), but they don't like it.

I think that they're pushed to the vaping market, cos they are relatively safe, and coincidentally, require replacing fairly often.

A lot of people are saying you can fit an 18650 into the bolt.
    Another £1.50 gets you from 1100mah to 1600mah.

I didn't particularly want to risk it on the 1st order.
    imagine the kit coming and the batteries don't fit

However..... what may be of interest, is that they also don't like being run right down (unlike some other battery families).
    Perhaps you're over stressing the battery, by over extracting energy in the last 25% (creates crystaline build up).

That's gonna be interesting, cos I won't be able to do that with the bolt.
    I wonder if I can be studious enough, to keep a record of how many times I charge each battery.

When is that day coming, when all these little electrical components wi-fi up to the pc, and tell it everything it is doing?
    It's been promised for years now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I normally only use them till they start to lose their kick, which is probably about halfway, they can go on a lot longer - if I'm willing to accept reduced performance. For the record, there are cigs that hook up to the USB port and give you data - but I've never really seen the appeal!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast