Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.10 nm-dispatcher and modem manager singnal 15 can not boot

Beans

Re: 12.10 nm-dispatcher and modem manager singnal 15 can not boot

Hi I think it would be better (and MUCH easier) to move forward rather than back - i.e. do an apt-get upgrade and see if that fixes the broken packages

What options do you get in the recovery menu when you boot into recovery mode? you can try to start networking there and then update/upgrade. If that fails (quite likely - especially if there are nm issues) then we can attempt to start a network connection manually using ifup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Hi I think it would be better (and MUCH easier) to move forward rather than back - i.e. do an apt-get upgrade and see if that fixes the broken packages

What options do you get in the recovery menu when you boot into recovery mode? you can try to start networking there and then update/upgrade. If that fails (quite likely - especially if there are nm issues) then we can attempt to start a network connection manually using ifup.
    OK, as I hit the shift key after getting the Asus splash screen this comes up:

Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-34-generic
    Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-34-generic (recovery mode)
    Previous Linux versions

from there i select the middle one- recovery mode. The screen goes wild loading stuff, then I see this:

fsck from util-linux 2.19.1
    /dev/sda1: clean, 153658/19406848 files, 72744291/77621248 blocks (check in 3 mounts)
    modprobe: FATAL: could not load /lib/modules/3.2.0-34-generic/modules.dep: No such file or directory

waiting for network configuration...
    waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration...

then the screen fills up again and i land with the prompt:

root@dhcppc1:~#

let me try an apt-get upgrade!

Beans

that modprobe FATAL error does not usually occur if that matters. also i just noticed the line "booting system without full network..."

the upgrade came up all "0" so i guess i have no network connection.

Beans

any ideas?

Beans

OK well if you have a wired ethernet you can try to bring up an interface in the root console with something like

Code:
    # ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.99 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    # route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth0
    where 192.168.1.99 is a known free IP address on your LAN and 192.168.1.1 is your router IP - adjust as necessary

Test it e.g. by pinging 8.8.8.8 (a google DNS server) and google.com - if the latter fails then we need to set up DNS as well which (temporarily) you can do with

Code:
    # mount -o remount,rw /
    # echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" >> /etc/resolv.conf
    (remember to make the filesystem writeable first) If you can get to that point you can try updating

Code:
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get upgrade
    Good luck - I will check back to see if you are making progress
    Last edited by steeldriver; December 26th, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

Beans

Thanks Steeldriver. I am wondering how I determine a "known free address" on my LAN, and how I determine what my router IP is? Also how do I make the filesystem writeable? If I know these things I think I can get through this process. Thank you again!!!! My router is a TP Link TD854W if this is relevant.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by gatesdrovme2it View Post
    Thanks Steeldriver. I am wondering how I determine a "known free address" on my LAN, and how I determine what my router IP is? Also how do I make the filesystem writeable? If I know these things I think I can get through this process. Thank you again!!!! My router is a TP Link TD854W if this is relevant.
    192.168.1.1 is your router's IP ) dhcp chooses the next lowest AFAIK so anything relatively high should be free (unless you have crazy amounts of things connected to the router). I'd say you could just try 192.168.1.15 and it'd work. As for remounting read/write run sudo mount -n -o remount,rw /

hope it helps.

let me know if running an update doesn't fix it, I have a few more tricks up my sleeve
    Last edited by chris200x9; January 13th, 2013 at 06:12 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12