Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webcam and Cheese not working

Beans

Re: Webcam and Cheese not working

Mmmmm - interesting - I just plugged the webcam into another USB socket, and I can now see the output using motion, and VLC, but Cheese still hangs. I remain puzzled - so maybe now I can chance an upgrade to 12.04/12.10.

Many thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

have you tried launching cheese from the command line to see what it may be reporting back to you as it tries to open the program?

Beans

Dear dannyboy79,

When I run cheese from the CLI, I get:-

cheese

(cheese:17230): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:17230): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:17230): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkHBox to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:17230): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:17230): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkHBox to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:17230): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

and there is no GUI component displayed.

Does this help?

I did try reinstalling cheese without success, and I ensured that it is configured to access the right video device (in case it mattered), but nothing seems to help!

Many thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

which version of cheese are you using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

can u tell is it poping some external app if not so give me your result for the following to be typed into terminal.

lsmod | grep videodev
    "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

Beans
    Distro

also wanted to ask have u installed the restricted extras if not so first install them by

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

and after that try the command issued by me. and tell me if that works.
    "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

Beans

Many thanks for the help.

I followed the guidance from Rockstarever and got:-

videodev 85626 14 cx88_blackbird,cx2341x,wm8775,saa7134,tuner,gspca_ main,cx8800,cx88xx,v4l2_common

Cheese looks as though it is 3.2.0 (from the Software Centre).

I also tried to load it again in case the restricted extras made it work. I noticed that in the System Monitor, Cheese is waiting for v4l2_ioctl.

Does any of this help?!

I am most appreciative of all your help.

Beans
    Distro

sry for my late replays i am kind of stuck with my network provider service problems. Ok focusing on you proble it seems your system have detected the video device. the only thing you have to do now is to manually by typing in the following in "gstreamer-properties" this will pop up some msg and open up a window named "Multimedia systems selector" go to video tab and check the default input plugin
    set it to your camera and you are done. now check if its working by pressing the test button and opening the cheese and tell me if get you to work.

Beans

Try here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12393918

Then after all that, reboot a couple of times
    Last edited by Outlooker; December 23rd, 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Don't forget to reboot

Beans

Talking Re: Webcam and Cheese not working

Dear Rockstarever,

Thanks for the reply - using gstreamer-properties, I still get:-

(gstreamer-properties:28502): Gtk-WARNING **: Unknown property: GtkDialog.has-separator

(gstreamer-properties:28502): Gtk-WARNING **: Unknown property: GtkDialog.has-separator
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'artsdsink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdsink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sunaudiosink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'glimagesink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sdlvideosink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'v4lmjpegsrc'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'qcamsrc'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'v4lsrc'

This may relate to why Cheese isn't working. Does this help?

Many thanks for your help.

Outlooker - thank you for the help - but the webcam now works, it is only cheese that isn't!

I even got motion working - and was puzzled as to why it was constantly triggering with the same settings as before - until I realised it was the Christmas lights causing the triggering! Doh!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12