Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I install this module?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do I install this module?

I had no trouble building the hanvon.ko but don't have an actual Hanvon tablet to test it on. Others have not been so fortunate: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1178978

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Followed these directions to install the latest hanvon-2111113.tgz module, and it works fine. However I'm having to go through the process from 'cd hanvon_drivers' every time I reboot the machine, which is a bit of a pain. Anyone got any ideas how I make this change permanent?
    Nid yw Anarchiaeth am anrhefn a chwal, ond am Ryddid, Cyfrifoldeb a Threfn
    Anarchy isn't about chaos and disorder, it's about Freedom, Responsibility and Order.

Beans
    Distro

Right, you don't need to do an insmod or modprobe each time if you copy the driver/module into an appropriate directory. See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post11242767

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply Favux, but following those directions doesn't seem to work - though I will have another look when I'm less tired.

I get this:

ceridwen@ceridwen:~$ sudo cp hanvon.ko /lib/modules/'ceridwen -r'/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
    [sudo] password for ceridwen:
    cp: cannot stat ‘hanvon.ko’: No such file or directory
    ceridwen@ceridwen:~$

I'm a little stumped, as it must have 'hanvon.ko' as doing the insmod does give me tablet functionality.
    Anarchy isn't about chaos and disorder, it's about Freedom, Responsibility and Order.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

It's from using 'ceridwen -r' in the path. Enter uname -r in a terminal and it will return the current kernel. So that is a specific command asking the kernel for its name and doesn't mean yourname. The backticks ` allow you to use uname -r in a path, the shell reads `uname -r` as the current kernel, with is part of the path.

Beans
    Distro

I'm still getting "cannot stat ‘hanvon.ko’: No such file or directory" when entering this command string, though hanvon.ko must exist - I'm nor sure where I'm going wrong here.
    "

Beans
    Distro

Duh! Egg on face time - I didn't cd to the directory containing havnon.ko.

Thanks of your help Favux

This time things seem to have worked, but even if they haven't at least I know that I'm very close

I usually use a Wacom Bamboo, which when I first got one was a pain and a half to install, but is now virtually 'plug 'n' play' but wanted to try out this Hanvon tablet to see if it's worth going to all the trouble with - and it is. It's not as capable on Linux as it is on Windows. (no handwriting recognition which is almost frigtheningly good on Windows) but it's certainly uo to the job in terms of functionality in Gimp etc. I'd say that Wacom would be somewhat up against it if Hanvon natively supported Linux, which I'm sure is putting a lot of people off. I was certainly enthused enough by the fact that drivers existed to give it a go, though I was slightly intimidated, (unneccesarily) by the fact that the drivers needed compiling, the first time I've done anything like that. At about half the cost of a similarly specced Wacom, the Hanvon is a bargain.

Beans
    Distro

Good. Glad you got it working.

I wonder if pressure from competitors is why Wacom rebranded its Bamboo Pen and Touches to Intuos Pen and Touches and now calls the Intuos's Intuos Pro? It would sure be nice if someone offered handwriting recognition in linux, I bet they would clean up. Not that CellWriter isn't a good app.

Beans
    Distro

It would be great if someone did handwriting recogniton in Linux. I have used cellwriter, and whilst I can see uses for it, it's not quite the same. What astonished me more than anything when using the handwriting recogniton in Windows is that it worked with Libre Office - I had suspected that it might just have been with MS Office that it would have worked.

I'm not sure what persuaded Wacom to change the name of their entry level tablets, but on cost alone they are going to have a tough fight is even half the competiton is as good as the Hanvon. I have a Wacom MTE 4450 K, which I bought second hand on ebay, as I don't like the look, or design of the more recent tablets. I also managed to source a new, old stock Wacom Bamboo, so I have a 'spare', plus of course I now have the Hanvon.

Beans
    Distro

Grrrr! recent kernel upgrade completely removed Hanvon tablet functionality, and repeating the directions no longer works - it compiles fine, installs fine, and works, but I know when I reboot I'm going to have to do it all again because when I issue the 'sudo cp hanvon.kp /lib/modules/'uname -r'/kernel/drivers/input/tablet' command I get this as a response from the terminal:

'cp: cannot create regular file ‘/lib/modules/uname -r/kernel/drivers/input/tablet’: No such file or directory'

Why is it that every kernel upgrade seems to tak out some basic functionality of the operatring system - surely it can be made to detect what is already there and what dependencies are required, it seems 'intelligent' enough to detect the lack of required dependencies when attempting to manually install porgrams that need unsatisfied dependencies so why htis palaver every time? It used to happen a lot with Nvidia drivers in 10.04.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast