Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hard drive skipped from boot loading

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Hard drive skipped from boot loading

I did the following:
    The folder c:/Ubuntu was already removed, so I only removed the Wubi files.
    I used bcdedit from cmd to delete the Ubuntu option from the boot menu. Done successfully.
    I then used Boot-repair to reinstall grub again (which it said 'reinstall grub' not 'grub2'). It kept telling me that there is a broken Wubi version on my machine, but I couldn't find it. Until I deleted some Wubildr files from all the other drives, which didn't have any systems on them.
    Ubuntu still doesn't show up in the boot menu. I think the problem now is with my grub installation. How do I install it manually, without boot-repair, but also, without internet connection on that laptop ?.
    The output from Boot-repair is very large so I attached it instead of posting here. It mentions that it installed Grub 1, not 2.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Are text files from before running Boot-Repair. And normally Boot-Repair posts BootInfo report to pastebin and you just need to post the link.

It still shows Windows in MBR, but says it installed grub to the MBR. Grub 1.99 is grub2.

Does it boot to a grub menu and can you boot both Ubuntu and Windows?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Are text files from before running Boot-Repair.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what you meant here.
    I know it should give me a url directly, but since I don't have a internet connection, it can't post it to pastebin.
    No, it doesn't load a boot menu, it automatically loads windows as if it was the only system installed. I can't access the Ubuntu installation at any point.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So this computer does not have a Ethernet connection?

You usually need the connection to get things to update correctly.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

The wireless device works, but I have no internet connection other than a USB modem, which doesn't work when I'm booted through the live USB.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I though Boot-Repair would install grub to the MBR even without Internet. But it still is better to have a hard wired Internet connection when Installing or repairing. It often needs to download extra drivers that are not on the install ISO.

Do you have any settings in BIOS that lock MBR or are virus check from BIOS that prevent writing to MBR? IF so make sure those are off.

From liveCD run this which really only does what Boot-Repair runs.

#Comments are anything after the #, enter commands in terminal session
    #Install MBR from LiveCD/usb, Ubuntu install on sda3 and want grub2's bootloader in drive sda's MBR:
    #Find linux partition, change sda3 if not correct:
    sudo fdisk -l
    #confirm that linux is sda3
    sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
    # The above command should work but they now suggest this command for grub 1.99 with Natty 11.04 or later - uses boot not root.:
    sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
    #If that returns any errors run:
    sudo grub-install --recheck --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
    # If no errors on previous commands reboot into working system and run this:
    sudo update-grub

How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu 9.10)
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ta/7Bootloader
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...0from%20LiveCD

Beans
    Distro

I forgot to check for the MBR settings before doing the steps for GRUB installation, but I checked afterwards and there is no information regarding the MBR in BIOS.
    Anyway, the above instructions worked perfectly, with no errors, and now I have four options for Ubuntu and one for Windows 7, and all works as expected (I had to log in recovery mode, because I forgot the password I set).
    I will flag this article SOLVED now, but I had one question I wanted to ask you. The USB modem still doesn't work on this installation, even though it worked perfectly on other Ubuntu versions on this and other laptops without requiring any package installations ?(The versions I mean were 12.10 and 11.04).
    A monumental thank you for you. I wish I had anything to offer in return for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad you got it working.

I do not know much about USB modems. My wifi on the laptop just works and I have not followed details on those issues.
    Best to start new thread with that issue in the title so those who know more may offer to help.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123