Thread: Cannot start many apps in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Cannot start many apps in Ubuntu

Hi.

I have a (Dell) laptop that I use occasionally (once a week or so). Today I find that some applications will not start from the unity launcher. When I click the relevant icon, they glow for a short while and then the glow ceases but the application does not appear. Applications that exhibit this behaviour include the terminal and display app.

Odder still, when I start Netbeans (which does start from unity), the font in that app has changed to something fairly basic.

In order to troubleshoot, I started xterm (via alt-f2). From that I can start gnome-terminal as root but if I start as my normal user I get a Segmentation fault (core dumped) error (which probably explains why it won't work from the unity launcher).

Some apps along the top bar appear to have failed in the same way. I see my Dropbox icon but not the battery charger icon.

In researching this I found a possible problem installing gimp (I installed 2.8 last time I used the laptop), which seemed to introduce font issues. I have removed gimp completely (I think) but the problem remains. Creating a new user has not helped - I cannot even log in that way (after login I get the Ubuntu background with no icons at all).

Does anyone have any ideas? I have a fully updated x64 12.10 install.

Thanks ...
    Last edited by daveysan; December 18th, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
    Life is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

Beans

Re: Cannot start many apps in Ubuntu

If it would not be a huge amount of trouble, a complete reinstall would sort it out. Put all your files on a memory stick, make a DVD (yes not a cd) with ubuntu 12.10 on it (its larger than 700MB so will require a DVD) and write a list of all the softwaer you have, then reinstall. If that is not possible, tell me and I will try to look into what it is, unless someone else solves it for you

Beans

If it is an old/slow laptop, and you wish reinstall to solve it, I would suggest that you install Lubuntu 12.10. If it does not work, saying that your CPU does not have the required features (it did for me) I would install Lubuntu 12.04

That is what happened to me. It said my processor did not have PAE, required to install it, so I installed the previous version
    Last edited by Arielxgbarton; December 18th, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: found out technical name for feature (all i remembered that it was something for 3GB ram)

Beans
    Distro

It is an interesting one. The laptop is new and fairly powerful and the problem did not manifest itself until today (after trouble free use for the last couple of months). I can reinstall, of course, and will end up doing so if the current problem doesn't get resolved - but I'd prefer not to, partly from the hassle factor but mainly because it must be possible for the problem to happen again. I have used Ubuntu for a few years (and have it currently on 3 others computers) but have never seen this problem...
    Life is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

Beans
    Distro

Well, that is disappointing. Looking at /var/log/syslog I noticed that whenever I tred to open a terminal I got a segfault in libglib-2.0. Delving further, somebody suggested removing tweaktool (which I had installed and used without problems a couple of months ago). I did that and now the machine won't boot at all - it gets to the login screen but after entering my credentials I get the Ubuntu background and nothing else. Thus my trouble shooting will stop here and I shall reinstall. Thanks anyway to those that looked at the issue ...