Thread: What extra packages are installed if you select 'Install this third-party software'?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What extra packages are installed if you select 'Install this third-party software'?

This question arose in this thread but I've started this new one so as to not take the original off-topic.

Does anyone know exactly which extra packages are installed if you check the 'Install this third-party software' option in the installer, specifically are any restricted video drivers installed? My coding isn't really good enough to check out the source code for Ubiquity and the only machines I have available have Intel graphics so I can't test for myself.

I'm about to do a couple of VM installations and diff the lists of installed packages so this will tell me all of the extra packages installed except the video drivers, can anyone fill in the blanks for me?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Re: What extra packages are installed if you select 'Install this third-party softwar

It's not just the mp3 decoder, it installs flash as well as other software.

If you read the linked thread MG&TL and I were discussing whether or not it installs video drivers as well, I am looking for a definitive answer.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Re: What extra packages are installed if you select 'Install this third-party softwar

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    ok
    is it not the restricted extras package ?

such as this for quantal http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/u...tricted-extras
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Beans
    Distro

That's what I presumed but in the thread I linked to in the first post MG&TL said it installed the restricted Nvidia drivers on his machine. This is what I'm trying to clarify.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    That's what I presumed but in the thread I linked to in the first post MG&TL said it installed the restricted Nvidia drivers on his machine. This is what I'm trying to clarify.

Well it says on that link i posted

It asks the Additional Drivers (jockey) program to enable any drivers that can be automatically installed
    Which of course would do Nvidia, and it says in post below. Though initially it says only includes Broadcom.

I am guessing that Nvidia is included as they are catered for with jockey

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Well it says on that link i posted

Which of course would do Nvidia, and it says in post below. Though initially it says only includes Broadcom.

I am guessing that Nvidia is included as they are catered for with jockey
    From the research I've just done it would seem that it installs ubuntu-restricted-addons (not ubuntu-restricted-extras which is a superset of ubuntu-restricted-addons) and only Broadcom if needed (just as your linked post specifies). I don't believe that any other packages are ever installed as my testing with VM's doesn't install the VirtualBox guest additions which are flagged by jockey.

This makes me believe that video drivers are never installed as part of the 'Install this third-party software' process, I think we can call this closed.

Just in case anyone is interested here is the diff of extra packages installed when the option is checked:
    Code:
    flashplugin-installer
    freepats
    gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
    gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
    liba52-0.7.4
    libass4
    libavcodec53
    libavformat53
    libavutil51
    libcdaudio1
    libcelt0-0
    libdc1394-22
    libdca0
    libdirac-encoder0
    libdirectfb-1.2-9
    libdvdnav4
    libdvdread4
    libenca0
    libfaad2
    libfftw3-3
    libflite1
    libgme0
    libgsm1
    libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0
    libkate1
    libmad0
    libmimic0
    libmms0
    libmodplug1
    libmp3lame0
    libmpcdec6
    libmpeg2-4
    libnspr4-0d
    libnss3-1d
    libofa0
    liboil0.3
    libopenal-data
    libopenal1
    libopencore-amrnb0
    libopencore-amrwb0
    libpostproc52
    libschroedinger-1.0-0
    libsidplay1
    libslv2-9
    libsoundtouch0
    libspandsp2
    libswscale2
    libts-0.0-0
    libtwolame0
    libva1
    libvo-aacenc0
    libvo-amrwbenc0
    libvpx1
    libwildmidi-config
    libwildmidi1
    libx264-120
    libxvidcore4
    libzbar0
    libzvbi-common
    libzvbi0
    tsconf
    ubuntu-restricted-addons
    Last edited by Cheesemill; December 28th, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Interesting stuff, nice digging guys!

This was the one install I checked that option on, and I wasn't exactly paying attention (anyone else find you can do that these days?) so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Did some digging myself, went through the jockey commit logs. Eventually the trail goes cold, but I keep finding references to "ubuntu-drivers-common", which a quick google search brings me to: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal...drivers-common

...which is interesting, particularly:

[...]some NVidia specific support code to find the most appropriate driver version[...]
    So no, it probably doesn't, but I think it's trying to at some point. The install was an alpha build if I recall, so it may simply have malfunctioned and called the as-yet-unfinished auto-detect functions.

IDK. Was fun finding out about though, thanks Cheesemill!