Thread: Passwd issues

Beans

Passwd issues

Hey Everybody,
    I'm new to this community and I'm so exited about Ubuntu!!!

I installed for the fisrt time an Ubuntu desktop on my computer and I'm having a little problem.

It seems like is not recognizing my passwd for authentication on installing new software

is there a way to reset the passwd ?

I tryed to look into ect/shadow to double check that my passwd was correct ( you know most of the time the error is from the user!!! ) but I couldn't open the shadow file... it seems like it's a binary file!!!!

is there a way I can fix this ?

a little background of what happened :
    I installed Ubuntu from the Windows installer, everything went well, I choose username and passwd and the installation went well.
    After I loged in in Ubuntu, I installed a couple of app (gnome mail for gmail!!) and on the installation it asked the password. I entered the passwd and the installation went well.
    Then I went to change my user settins, choosing to not have a password for my administratoor account, and after I made this choice I can't install any software ( the error is that the passwd is not correct)
    Last edited by marcoZazza; December 17th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.

Beans

Re: Passwd issues

Hello and welcome

See this tutorial for resetting the primary user password

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Please don't mess with the /etc/shadow file - it's not binary, but ordinary users don't have read permissions (for good reasons!)

Beans
    Hidden!

When you're installing software from the command line, it is normal for your password to not be shown on the screen: just type it in as usual.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Hey guys,

thanks a lot it worked I really appreciate it !!!!