Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: r8712u for my adapter?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

r8712u for my adapter?

I have a USB wireless adapter with id 07d1:3304. So, the chip is rlt8192su. I am running ubuntu 12.10 64-bit.

I was able to get my Broadcom 4311 running with very little effort (just minor tweak to get the b43 going.) But, I have been working on this Realtek situation for a few days, but to no avail. I've done a lot of reading and trying things, and from what I'm reading (if I'm understanding it correctly,) the proper driver to use now is called r8712u. Is this correct? If so, how do I get the device and the driver to meet up? It just not happening. When I modprobe for r8712u, I get nothing at all.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Beans

Re: r8712u for my adapter?

Did you try downloading and building the latest driver from Realtek for the 8192su? You'll have to do it in a terminal:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

You may have to blacklist the existing driver.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    Did you try downloading and building the latest driver from Realtek for the 8192su? You'll have to do it in a terminal:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

You may have to blacklist the existing driver.
    I've tried this three times. It just doesn't seem to work. I don't think that it works for this kernel (3.5.0-19-generic.) It states it's for Linux Kernel 2.6.18~2.6.38 and Kernel 3.0.2. As far as blacklisting an existing driver, I don't even see an existing driver for this. It shows up in lsusb, but no driver at all appears to be "attached" to it. ifconfig -a doesn't show this wlan at all.

I'm pretty new at all this, so I may be missing something here. Thanks.
    Last edited by Labhrain; December 17th, 2012 at 09:42 PM.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think you'll need to add the device ID to r8712u as here: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...-problems.html

Please note post #3 and post #8:
    the instructions worked just the same and the wireless usb card works perfectly.
    Thus was done in 2010, so you may have to adapt somewhat. Post back if we can help.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I think you'll need to add the device ID to r8712u as here: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...-problems.html

Please note post #3 and post #8:Thus was done in 2010, so you may have to adapt somewhat. Post back if we can help.
    That's the one of the threads I poured over for days, and I followed this particular thread to a "T" about three times trying to make it work. The problem seems to be that it has you download the drivers from the Realtek site, and those drivers don't appear to be correct for 12.10 kernel. I can't find anything recent for this, and I don't know where to go from here. For days, I feel I've really done my due diligence as far as searching high and low for information on this, and really, really trying to make this work. Not sure what else to do at this point.

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Labhrain View Post
    That's the one of the threads I poured over for days, and I followed this particular thread to a "T" about three times trying to make it work. The problem seems to be that it has you download the drivers from the Realtek site, and those drivers don't appear to be correct for 12.10 kernel. I can't find anything recent for this, and I don't know where to go from here. For days, I feel I've really done my due diligence as far as searching high and low for information on this, and really, really trying to make this work. Not sure what else to do at this point.

Thanks.
    I can't help you more until you provide the basic information asked for in the link above. Plus, I don't know where in the process you are having problems. All you are telling us is your assessment of what you did. From that, I can only make guesses.

I have built the 8192CU driver (may not be exactly the same as your driver) from the Realtek website, on Ubuntu 12.10, and it worked fine. Are you getting errors during the make process? Is the driver loading? Was an old driver used at all? See - we don't have much to go on here.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I decided to try this all again. When I get to the part where you run "make" I get the following errors:

make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build M=/home/labhrain/Downloads/rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.6.0.201204 05/driver/rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.6.0.201204 05 modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: *** [modules] Error 2

So, I can't go on from there. I've tried to figure out what causes this error, but I don't know what it is or how to fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Labhrain View Post

Thanks.
    Would you try an experiment for us?
    Code:
    sudo su
    modprobe r8712u
    echo -n "07d1 3304" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/r8712u/new_id
    exit
    Now does it come to life?
    Code:
    iwconfig
    ----------

Reference:
    Code:
    $ ls /sys/bus/usb/drivers/r8712u
    bind  module  new_id  remove_id  uevent  unbind
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

Chili, yes that has worked.

Here is the output of ifconfig:

wlan1 unassociated Nickname:"rtl_wifi"
    Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Sensitivity:0/0
    Retry: off RTS thr: off Fragment thr: off
    Power Management: off
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I am going to configure it and see how it goes.

When I did modprobe earlier, without su, it didn't work. Perhaps this has been the issue all along?

Thank you both so very much!

EDIT:

So far, so good. It's remaining up. I connected to my Freenas file server (which is kind of slow) but I had good results with that, and with surfing the Web. I noticed in iwconfig for this adapter that it's not getting the speed it should (although faster than my built-in adapter,) but I'll look around to see how to tweak for that, if it's possible to do so.
    Last edited by Labhrain; December 18th, 2012 at 01:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast