Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockups with some gtk applications

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Lockups with some gtk applications

I'm experiencing random lockups with some GTK applications, and apparently with only those that use GTK+ 3.x, in 13.04.

I upgraded to it yesterday, so I don't know if it is a result of the upgrade not transferring some setting or something. The lockups seem to be related (partly) to opening menu items, such as indicators, as the menus then turn white and the system becomes unresponsive to clicks. I also get a problem with Firefox Nightly, Plank (the dock), Gedit, Dconf Editor, etc - where they just freeze after running for a few minutes.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lockups with some gtk applications

does not get all that stuff here on i386

maybe clean the system: remove these folders (they are cleanly rebuilt on next reboot)
    .local
    .gnome2
    .gconf
    .config

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    does not get all that stuff here on i386

maybe clean the system: remove these folders (they are cleanly rebuilt on next reboot)
    .local
    .gnome2
    .gconf
    .config
    I have valuable info in these folders... Settings for various apps that I do backup on a schedule... I would not be happy if someone would erase these folders on my machine, without backup...
    They are rebuilt but settings are gone...

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    I have valuable info in these folders... Settings for various apps that I do backup on a schedule... I would not be happy if someone would erase these folders on my machine, without backup...
    They are rebuilt but settings are gone...
    thats true, but its not a big deal, and remove the oldish crap

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    thats true, but its not a big deal, and remove the oldish crap
    It depends what is a computer used for...
    Never mind...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    It probably depends on whether you are testing or just using the release but I have always favored a clean install for myself. I copy over Home and just the hidden software settings that I need for my email ,browser, backup program, financial etc. Leave the rest behind. That way I'm not blaming today on yesterday.
    rrnbtter
    PS. I'm not a tester but I do send in the reports few as they are.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Using a testing version as your main system exclusively, isn't recommended. There have been several times over the last few cycles, where the system has become totally unusable for days at a time. I always recommend that you have a previous version as a backup, just in case. You may never need it, but at least you do have a safety net.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm still experiencing the problem after clearing almost everything, so I'm going to start with a pretty much clean account (except for my important files).

Also, I'm on a new account with no problems, so it's clearly related to the old account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Original by cariboo907
    Using a testing version as your main system exclusively, isn't recommended. There have been several times over the last few cycles, where the system has become totally unusable for days at a time. I always recommend that you have a previous version as a backup, just in case. You may never need it, but at least you do have a safety net.
    Thanks, you are right no question about it. Thing is I don't care one hoot if it crashes or not. Just look at the price of a movie, popcorn, and drink and I will take a reinstall anytime. But thanks for the thought.
    rrnbtter
    PS: I don't run an update on my wife's computer until I know mine will work:) .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    Oh, yes, I forgot. I also have a copy of Carolina Puppy Linux installed on my hard drive that I can boot into. It has all of the software that I use in Ubuntu installed and even uses the same Claws-Email folder as my Ubuntu System since its on the same partition in a directory. Only thing I don't have in the Puppy installation is GphpEdit.
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!
    rrnbtter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast