Thread: Anyone need a Athlon II X2 250 (used, includes thermal paste)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Anyone need a Athlon II X2 250 (used, includes thermal paste)

Update now on ebay and SOLD as of 1/23/3014:
    See this link
    Code:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/141171062728
    We upgraded my moms CPU so i have this one used looking for a buyer it includs the CPU, heat-sync fan, and some CoolerMaster thermal paste, some unused free trial cd for AVG that nobody cares about, and retail packaging
    the model# is ADX250OCGMBOX
    it was purchased on 7/2/11 (M/D/Y)
    max temp seen 47C (ran prime95 for 2.5Hrs)
    ships from inside the US

Most AM2+ boards support this CPU and all AM3 and AM3+ boards should support it, if you want to very if your board does post it's model number and i will look it up
    you should be able to get your model # with this command, you could always look at your motherboard, hwinfo is not installed by default
    Code:
    sudo hwinfo --bios 2> /dev/null | egrep -i "board info|bios info" -A6
    Specs:
    Last edited by oldfred; January 23rd, 2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: User request
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Anyone need a Athlon II X2 250 (used, includes thermal paste)

i got nothing with that command (though i used old mint KDE live CD). i guess it's time to make a newer CD, cause for some reson i can't boot from USB anymore.... can't figure out where the motherboard model is in BIOS. i will try to look for the box, though i am not sure where it is.

meanwhile i have Athlon 3800+ 2.4Ghz single core.. how much would i actually benefit with such an upgrade? otherwise i see they've mostly stopped selling AM socket CPU's here
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

it has a better architecture and it has more GHz and 1 core more
    a second core allows the system to run 2 processes at the same time, single core has to stop task a to do task b (kinda of like my brain, lol)
    so it would be a significant improvement, but nothing compared to a modern chip like a vishera one
    theoretically it will exceed 200% of your current CPU

your processor is a AM2 or a 939 socket, that means you motherboard is either a AM2, AM2+, or 939 socket, lets hope yours is a AM2+ I would like to avoid ebay listing fees

AM3+ motherboards are what is currently being manufactured

If you are using windows, you can see if you can get it from speccy
    since i don't use windows i can't be certain if that will work, here is a screenshot from my virtualbox
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; December 22nd, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    can't figure out where the motherboard model is in BIOS.(
    Many BIOSes show the motherboard model at the top of the initial BIOS screen that flashes briefly before proceeding to boot your OS. In fact I think that's the only place it is shown in BIOS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

well i used speccy to find out the model and all. i also checked on it.

it seems it's this one:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=2607#sp

site says

1. Support for Socket AM2+/ AM2 processors: AMD Phenom™FX processor/ AMD Phenom™ processor/ AMD Athlon™ 64 FX processor/AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core processor/AMD Athlon™ 64 processor/AMD Sempron™ processor

(Note) If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List" for more information.
    not sure what that means exactly for performance, but i did check the cpu support list and it seems a few phenoms are not supported.
    however i saw another problem. at the time motheboard seemed like a very upgradable tihng, but now AM socket is not sold anymore (here at least). and this motherboard (though ram can go up to 16GB) i ssuddenly not upgradable anymore. something breaks i need to replace the whole thing again it seems, including the CPU & RAM. CPU would also require BIOS flash - again if something goes wrong.... so i am not sure if it's worth upgrading it at all.
    another trouble is i have radeon card on it it works ok for now, but two days ago under load it started to make a loud sound and i am afraid the fan will die. a new fan and cooler is not much cheaper than the card, so it's not worth buying. and this motherboard won't support new graphic cards. checking on the BIOS page it even has issues with radeon 5000 support. will try to first get the card cleaned as i don't have the compressed air.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

16gb ram is more than anyone how is still using a single core gpu, will need for the next 10 years, 6gb is plenty for gaming, 16gb is prefect for serious media editing

flashing the bios is really easy, just don't do it during a thunderstorm (when the power is likely to go out)
    Updating to the latest bios is supposed to fix issues with the HD 5000 series and add support for this cpu
    all you do is run the exe that they give you, since you are doing this from windows make sure your windows install is not BSODing, (if you can flash from the BIOS i suggest that way, as it is more error proof)
    as long as the power is not likely to go out and windows is not crashing on you, updating the bios is completely safe

Since the cpu is supported i would not worry about the HT, this is meant to be low cost (thinking around 50-55 shipped) upgrade for a old system that can't keep up with todays needs (I am looking at you adobe flash)
    since you would be upgrading from a single to a dual core chromium/google chrome will seem to run much faster as it uses multi threaded software
    if you wanted to overhaul your system and reuse the case: http://tinyurl.com/d63v5jm (i assume you are a Linux user and done need to buy a windows license key)
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; December 27th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

hello thanks for the reply and some additional info.

i think it would be better if you found someone closer to your living place to ship them the CPU.I am in europe and things here are quite expencive for upgrade and such, especially in my country. the computer is currently runnign windows xp (as i need it for online banking - or rather their "smart" USB chip). however i do not know what to do in the future when XP runs out. i was thinkign of installing win 7 on this maschine and do an upgrade. but now as the GPU started to fail (it seems) it kind of worries me. so first i need to see if GPU is realyl failing or if it's just cloged up from dust. i will try to arrange it after new year to get it to someone with air compressor.
    next i will see if it is even worth upgrading. because as i checked after this dual core upgrade there is no more upgrade options. not without changing the motherbaoard. and ram and possibly GPU.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i think there are some phenom II quad cores it is compatible with
    i don't mind shipping to Europe but the price will be more due to shipping (with i will need to find out the price of)
    just get the dust out of the gpu, there may be a shroud you can remove (temporarily) so you can use a q-tip or piece of serial box cardboard to scrap it out, if a can of air does not get it done
    so if you update the bios, OS drivers and get the dust out you will know if it is damaged
    this chip does support vitalization for running xp in virtualbox

Beans

I don't need it but I'd take a freebie

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by verzx View Post
    I don't need it but I'd take a freebie
    it is not free, what is your offer?