Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you love to touch type?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How many of you love to touch type?

This thread is for any touch type enthusiasts.

I have been touch typing for about 2 months now and can't figure out how I got through life without it! I find myself scouring through the forums more; reading any and all that you all have to say now that I don't really need to look at the keyboard anymore (or at least a lot less). Forgive me if I sound like an over enthusiastic noob, but Linux combined with touch type has given me a new fondness for computers.

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How many of you love to touch type?

Yep! I learned touch typing with the help of Klavaro, and now I not only write faster, but I find myself enjoying too!

I've been touch typing 6 months now, but it's not like I wouldn't be able to live without it

Beans

Yep super easy once you get used to it.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

I can touch type, I wouldn't say I love it though, I don't run home frantically eagerly waiting to get my fingers on the home keys
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

My grandfather used to use only two fingers to type on his old typewriter with only two fingers. Man, was he fast! I learned touch in high school and can't imagine keyboarding any other way. I made my son learn it when he was in high school. He resisted, but it becomes second nature after awhile.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I learned basic form in middle school but I was awful. Honestly, there wasn't much need for it back then. In college, I only needed to type out a paper or two so, again, not improvement. By the end of college I really became good, mostly because I needed to keep up with conversations on irc as an op on efnet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The US Air Force taught me how to touch type years ago. Used it ever since. That is the big reason that I have a very difficult time using a tiny laptop keyboard .. and a miniature keyboard such as a tablet is out of the question!

Beans

I touch type too. I went about 27 years of my life using two fingers and then decided I wanted to improve my WPM. I used Mavis Beacon Teach Typing and it helped me learn pretty quickly. As someone who uses computers alot it was probably a good idea.

And also, it's the main reason why I never use my tablets and hate typing on my touch screen phone. Give me a keyboard any day. Keyboards are much faster, and more accurate.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I've been touch typing for decades. Second nature and something that just is rather than a love thing. But yea, being able to rattle along while looking out the window thinking is nice ...

(My mother was a telegram supervisor in charge of over a hundred typists and would take me to work sometimes on a Saturday where my amusement was to choose one of a couple of hundred typewriters, not electric, and type 'the quick brown fox jumps over the very lazy dog' a few hundred times using the correct fingering ... that sentence has all the letters of the alphabet and my advice if you want to learn cheaply is learn the correct fingering and away you go. Try not to look at the keyboard ... )
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 17th, 2012 at 05:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I took typing in High School. Of course, back then it was on a typewriter (I'm dating myself ) My children also learned to touch type in school, but by then the course was called keyboarding.
    David D.
    Ubuntu 20.04 on HP Envy 17 with SSD

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast