Thread: Introducing my parents to Ubuntu, and need an iTunes replacement

Beans

Introducing my parents to Ubuntu, and need an iTunes replacement

After receiving a call off my mum, asking why her home page had been changed and she couldn't open any Windows programs, I have decided that enough is enough, and I'm installing Ubuntu on her laptop to save us both from virus woes.

My first thought was to get her a Chromebook, as virtually everything she does happens inside a browser. The one thing that stopped me from doing this is that she buys and stores all of her music in iTunes.

With that in mind, what would be the best replacement for iTunes once I have installed Ubuntu for her? Preferably, it would have a built-in store (maybe Amazon MP3?) that can download songs and import them straight to her library, and it would have to be relatively easy to use.

I was going to develop one for her myself, but I haven't got the time right now, so I've shelved that idea until the summer.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

Beans

Re: Introducing my parents to Ubuntu, and need an iTunes replacement

Have you tried installing itunes in wine?
    To get wine; sudo apt-get install wine
    Then download itunes, and execute it with wine. I have wine installed on my machine, I will try to install itunes and let you know if it works.

*Update* itunes seems to install fine, however when I launch it there are no buttons, or anything. Just a window. So you may want to skip over trying this one.

I heard songbird was a good alternative. I do not own an ipod as I dislike apple immensely, so I cannot tell you if it has all of the features you are looking for or not.
    Last edited by TOMBSTONEV2; December 16th, 2012 at 10:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Depending on which country you live in, Ubuntu One has a music store. I think Rhythmbox also has one. Both are powered by 7digital.

If you're in a part of the world that can't get access via Ubuntu One, you can go directly to their website http://7digital.com and sign in there to download.

All the best!
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried WINE but had many issues that weren't worth the hassle for iTunes. After trying a few programs, I've settled on Banshee, as that can sync seamlessly and is easy enough to use.

Thanks for the replies.