Thread: Downgrade Flash to earlier version?

Beans

Downgrade Flash to earlier version?

Hi,

I have tried to install the latest version of Ubuntu 32bit on my friend's old PC, but due to it's age, the newest version of Flash doesn't work.

How can I downgrade the version to the one which does work? I would like to avoid doing a full reformat if I can.

Many thanks

Beans

Re: Downgrade Flash to earlier version?

Don't do that. Adobe Flash Player is one of the most attacked pieces of software on this planet. You do not want to use an insecure version of Flash.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotr123 View Post
    Don't do that. Adobe Flash Player is one of the most attacked pieces of software on this planet. You do not want to use an insecure version of Flash.

Thanks for saying I agree, but it's either that, or buy a new PC, which he can't afford.

Beans

There may be sensible alternatives. What are the specs of his computer? Can you supply a hardware list in this fashion:
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...re-information

Beans

This problem is a known problem with old CPUs and newer flash player.. the solution is to downgrade the flash player.. but what Pjotr123 said , is correct.

I've keep the old version in my Ubuntu One account .. 11.1 (the newer version of flash is 11.2) for such cases..

The only thing you have to do is to copy the libflashplayer.so file to this path /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Download the file from here => http://ubuntuone.com/0maDagKUuWihfc8A2ktnlp

and apply the commands below.. with order and one at time ( I assume you saved the file to Downloads folder)

Code:
    cd Downloads 
    tar xvzf flashplayer11_1r102_63_linux.i386.tar.gz
    sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    As you can understand this is for i386 (32bit) Operating System.. If you have 64bit .. let me know.. and do not apply the commands above.

Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

See Flash 11.1.102-63 for details and a download of that version.

The problem seems to be associated with some versions of ATI graphic cards, particularly, in my case, the ATI 9200SE which uses the open source driver.

Make sure you use flashblock and/or noscript as well as this older flash version.

Beans

the first response to every forum question is always "you don't want to do that!"