Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 LiveUSB Problem

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 LiveUSB Problem

You'll need to have the ACPI daemon, acpid, running to be able to check the key events and to run those event scripts. You can then run:
    Code:
    acpi_listen
    Now press fn+up and fn+dn and it should give you the associated events. For me, they are:
    Code:
    video/brightnessup BRTUP 00000086 00000000
    video/brightnessdown BRTDN 00000087 00000000
    The only other thing that comes to mind right now is to make sure the scripts are executable. Oh and probably need to restart acpid.
    Last edited by y400; December 30th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by y400 View Post
    With my Y400 running Arch I'm using the nvidia driver and needed the nvidiabl driver to be able to change the brightness. With the module loaded, it adds an interface at /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight where you should be able to change the brightness parameter. To get the fn keys to change the brightness, I'm using the acpi scripts from here with the sony events changed for this laptop.
    Wow! Thank you very much for the response.. I am able to control the backlight using the function keys now!

Beans

Could you post a step-by-step of how you named and edited and placed the scripts? I thought I had everything set to go, but then the keys still don't work. I'm working with a Y500, so your results should be repeatable.

What I tried:
    I put a file 'nvidia-brightness-up' into /etc/acpi/events
    Its contents were:
    Code:
    event=video LCD 00000000 00000086
    action=/etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_up.sh
    Because acpi_listen gave me "video LCD 00000086 00000000" when I did Fn + Up.

I made a file 'nvidia_backlight_up.sh', chmod +x'd it, then placed it into /etc/acpi with the contents:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

test -f /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness || exit 0

VAL=`cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/actual_brightness`
    MAX=`cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/max_brightness`
    STEP=10

VAL=`expr $VAL + $STEP`

if [ $VAL -gt $MAX ]; then
    	VAL=$MAX
    fi

echo -n $VAL > /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness
    And that doesn't produce any results.
    Last edited by rorschachwalter; December 31st, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rorschachwalter View Post
    Could you post a step-by-step of how you named and edited and placed the scripts? I thought I had everything set to go, but then the keys still don't work. I'm working with a Y500, so your results should be repeatable.

What I tried:
    I put a file 'nvidia-brightness-up' into /etc/acpi/events
    Its contents were:
    Code:
    event=video LCD 00000000 00000086
    Because acpi_listen gave me "video LCD 00000086 00000000" when I did Fn + Up.

I made a file 'nvidia_backlight_up.sh', chmod +x'd it, then placed it into /etc/acpi with the contents:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

STEP=10

VAL=`expr $VAL + $STEP`

VAL=$MAX
    fi

And that doesn't produce any results.
    I am working with a Y500 also. I basically did precisely what you have mentioned and it is working. Did you restart acpid? Also, make sure that the driver module is indeed being loaded on boot up, i.e by adding nvidiabl to /etc/module on a new line and rebooting. If the driver is indeed being loaded, then editing /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness (which you should have if the driver is loaded) to a different value should change the screen brightness in real-time. If that is working, then try running your nvidia_backlight_up.sh file from the terminal to see if the brightness indeed goes up by 10.
    I guess all of this assumes that you are using the nVidia driver (nvidia-current-updates) for your display to begin with.

Beans

Question Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 LiveUSB Problem

Has anyone managed to get their Webcam working on the Y400/Y500 ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Y500user View Post
    Has anyone managed to get their Webcam working on the Y400/Y500 ?
    I haven't played around too much with it besides getting it to work in guvcview. The webcam in my Y400 is listed as the following from lsusb:
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f2:b331 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
    It uses the linux-uvc driver and after it not working I sent a message to the linux-uvc mailing list and got pointed in the right direction. It tries to request too much bandwidth on the usb bus causing it to fail. I finally realized that changing the resolution to 320x240 in guvcview, closing it, and the restarting guvcview gets it working. Since then, I haven't done anything else with it like trying to get skype going.
    Last edited by y400; January 2nd, 2013 at 02:24 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by y400 View Post
    I haven't played around too much with it besides getting it to work in guvcview. The webcam in my Y400 is listed as the following from lsusb:
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f2:b331 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
    It uses the linux-uvc driver and after it not working I sent a message to the linux-uvc mailing list and got pointed in the right direction. It tries to request too much bandwidth on the usb bus causing it to fail. I finally realized that changing the resolution to 320x240 in guvcview, closing it, and the restarting guvcview gets it working. Since then, I haven't done anything else with it like trying to get skype going.
    Thank you very much! I'll give it a try... On the Y500 the webcam seems to be listed by lsusb to be "Realtek Semiconductor Peripheral".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Y500user View Post
    I am working with a Y500 also. I basically did precisely what you have mentioned and it is working. Did you restart acpid? Also, make sure that the driver module is indeed being loaded on boot up, i.e by adding nvidiabl to /etc/module on a new line and rebooting. If the driver is indeed being loaded, then editing /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness (which you should have if the driver is loaded) to a different value should change the screen brightness in real-time. If that is working, then try running your nvidia_backlight_up.sh file from the terminal to see if the brightness indeed goes up by 10.
    I guess all of this assumes that you are using the nVidia driver (nvidia-current-updates) for your display to begin with.
    I am struggling with a new Y500 also trying to get brightness FN keys to work. I have installed the latest driver from nvidia, 310.19 I believe and nvidia Xserver Settings is running and to prevent blindness I turn brightness down in color correction.

OK, I have installed nvidialbl. Module is loaded on restart. I have the directory /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight installed. When I do a sudo gedit the brightness file I simply get an error "can't create a backup file", won't save it or change the value of 127 which is the same as max_brightness.

It appears I might have a different nvidia driver installed. When I tried to install nvidia_current (three times) the display went wild, into low res, could not see anything on screen (it was there just spread out beyond ability to see anything). So this is the fourth clean install of Ubuntu 12.10.

Yeah and I can't get the brightness to change with any of these scripts or instructions, I can change the color brightness as noted.

I certainly didn't want W8 but I have ordered a copy of Win7 just in case but then I can't find the drivers at Lenovo for Win7 either. Anyone know how to find Win7 drivers for the Y500?

On the last Lenovo, U160, it took about four months to get support for the display and I had to revert to Win7 on that one until the i914 stuff supported it (something about reversed polarity screen). It is beginning to look that way here except it appears nvidia and Linux just don't mix - something I'll long remember. This is perhaps the worst case install I've ever had and six laptops now running Linux, either Ubuntu or Mint(wife loves Mint).

Well, not whining but certainly would like help. This is the Y500 from Lenovo, i7-3630, 1TB, geforce gt 650M-2GB. The current nvidia driver is displaying a beautiful 1920x1080 screen, a few other minor issues like no awake on lid open and the cam not funtional, all minor compared to brightness.

Beans

Hey, apparently screaming and pulling hair and learning the right commands to change the value of "brightness" in /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight was the right approach.

Now, the command issued:
    echo nn | sudo tee brightness

where nn is a value between 0 and 127 in my case. By decrementing "10" in value down to 57 I get a good brightness.

OK, sorry about the frustration guys but after 5 years of Linux I still feel like I don't know anything sometimes. The forum helps a lot and the command is from Toz in the Hardware section of forum where I initially went with post. It appears this is the most active discussion on the Y500. Now, down to nitty on those scripts, I'll keep playing but nice if someone will post the exact scripts and placement which tie the FN keys to the brightness file in the thing. Oh yeah, I'm about out of hair to pull

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard62 View Post

It appears I might have a different nvidia driver installed. When I tried to install nvidia_current (three times) the display went wild, into low res, could not see anything on screen (it was there just spread out beyond ability to see anything).

Well, not whining but certainly would like help. This is the Y500 from Lenovo, i7-3630, 1TB, geforce gt 650M-2GB. The current nvidia driver is displaying a beautiful 1920x1080 screen, a few other minor issues like no awake on lid open and the cam not funtional, all minor compared to brightness.
    The resolution issue is because the driver didn't properly install. Make sure you have "dkms" installed first as well as "linux-headers-`uname -r`" first. If you have "linux-headers-generic" installed, the nvidia driver will not work. So if you're still in that boat, you don't have to reinstall Ubuntu. Just remove the nvidia driver (and linux-headers-generic just for the heck of it), install linux-headers-`uname -r` first, then reinstall nvidia. Everything should work fine.

First, make sure nvidiabl is being loaded automatically by adding a line saying simply "nvidiabl" to /etc/modules.

The scripts I posted above weren't quite right, but they were really close. Here's what they should be:
    /etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_up.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

STEP=10

VAL=`expr $VAL + $STEP`

VAL=$MAX
    fi

/etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_down.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

MIN=0
    STEP=10

VAL=`expr $VAL - $STEP`

if [ $VAL -lt $MIN ]; then
    	VAL=$MIN
    fi

/etc/acpi/events/nvidia-brightness-down:
    Code:
    event=video LCD 00000087 00000000
    action=/etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_down.sh
    /etc/acpi/events/nvidia-brightness-up:
    Code:
    event=video LCD 00000086 00000000
    Then you have to make sure those scripts are executable:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_up.sh
    sudo chmod +x /etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_down.sh
    You also need to have permissions to edit the brightness file itself (this was one of the problems I ran into -- the keys were running the script, but I didn't have permission to change the file so nothing happened). I'm not sure if this is the "proper" way to do things, but it at least works. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and I'll edit this post:
    Code:
    sudo chown YOURUSERNAME /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness
    That should work for a Lenovo Y500. It's not quite a perfect workaround -- the brightness actually increases and decreases slightly past what the indicator shows, but it basically works and I think you'll be quite happy with it.

If it works for you exactly as I've written it up, please report back. If there was anything I didn't quite explain or that didn't quite work, please report back so I can edit this post for others as well.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast