Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 LiveUSB Problem

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 LiveUSB Problem

Quote Originally Posted by rorschachwalter View Post
    The resolution issue is because the driver didn't properly install. Make sure you have "dkms" installed first as well as "linux-headers-`uname -r`" first. If you have "linux-headers-generic" installed, the nvidia driver will not work. So if you're still in that boat, you don't have to reinstall Ubuntu. Just remove the nvidia driver (and linux-headers-generic just for the heck of it), install linux-headers-`uname -r` first, then reinstall nvidia. Everything should work fine.

First, make sure nvidiabl is being loaded automatically by adding a line saying simply "nvidiabl" to /etc/modules.

The scripts I posted above weren't quite right, but they were really close. Here's what they should be:
    /etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_up.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

test -f /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness || exit 0

VAL=`cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/actual_brightness`
    MAX=`cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/max_brightness`
    STEP=10

VAL=`expr $VAL + $STEP`

if [ $VAL -gt $MAX ]; then
    	VAL=$MAX
    fi

echo -n $VAL > /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness
    /etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_down.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

MIN=0
    STEP=10

VAL=`expr $VAL - $STEP`

if [ $VAL -lt $MIN ]; then
    	VAL=$MIN
    fi

/etc/acpi/events/nvidia-brightness-down:
    Code:
    event=video LCD 00000087 00000000
    action=/etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_down.sh
    /etc/acpi/events/nvidia-brightness-up:
    Code:
    event=video LCD 00000086 00000000
    action=/etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_up.sh
    Then you have to make sure those scripts are executable:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_up.sh
    sudo chmod +x /etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_down.sh
    You also need to have permissions to edit the brightness file itself (this was one of the problems I ran into -- the keys were running the script, but I didn't have permission to change the file so nothing happened). I'm not sure if this is the "proper" way to do things, but it at least works. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and I'll edit this post:
    Code:
    sudo chown YOURUSERNAME /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness
    That should work for a Lenovo Y500. It's not quite a perfect workaround -- the brightness actually increases and decreases slightly past what the indicator shows, but it basically works and I think you'll be quite happy with it.

If it works for you exactly as I've written it up, please report back. If there was anything I didn't quite explain or that didn't quite work, please report back so I can edit this post for others as well.
    Thanks for posting in detail.... The graphical brightness indicator seems to have a fixed number of steps I.e hotkey presses between min and max... If you increase your STEP size in the script so that the number of STEPs between 0 and max_brightness is the same as the number of steps the graphical indicator has, that might fix this minor issue.

Beans

Yes, have 650M with 2GB, lspci so we can compare models:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 650M] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0e1b (rev a1)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (rev c4)
    04:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. SD/MMC Host Controller (rev 30)
    04:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technology Corp. Standard SD Host Controller (rev 30)
    04:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. MS Host Controller (rev 30)
    04:00.4 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. xD Host Controller (rev 30)

And, oldfred, yes, that is the install procedure I used but first time around I did the latter part and installed the most current driver downloaded from nvidia site, 64bit 310.19. It worked except for occasional crash.

OK, where I am now is repeated the steps in that post and did first part and installed nvidia-current-updates.

All is well except I get a "system problem" shortly after reboot. Telling it to report gives the nvidia crash report, stored in home dir. Purge should have cleared any old stuff but who knows.

It's not the "end of the world" as we know it, just annoying. I'll leave it this way a while and perhaps an update will clear it or perhaps there is a driver/hardware bug. I am running generic as noted with nvidia-current-updates.

If we have a difference in the models, ie, lspci shows something different than my model please advise.

Thanks to you for patience and assistance. At least with this driver from repository I won't have to do it manually in future. But, just in case, I saved the scripts on my backup drive so won't have to recreate that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by y400 View Post
    I haven't played around too much with it besides getting it to work in guvcview. The webcam in my Y400 is listed as the following from lsusb:
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f2:b331 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
    It uses the linux-uvc driver and after it not working I sent a message to the linux-uvc mailing list and got pointed in the right direction. It tries to request too much bandwidth on the usb bus causing it to fail. I finally realized that changing the resolution to 320x240 in guvcview, closing it, and the restarting guvcview gets it working. Since then, I haven't done anything else with it like trying to get skype going.
    Thanks.. Just wanted to report back that setting the frame rate and/or frame size to low values like you suggested helped and am able to see the video using guvcview.

On my Y500, the webcam is listed under lsusb as:

Code:
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0bda:58dd Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    Also, I get the following:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep uvc
    [   19.388144] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Lenovo EasyCamera (0bda:58dd)
    [   19.398276] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo

Beans

Hi Even I am having the problems for installing ubuntu along side windows with a dual boot option for Lenovo Y 500. Can anyone give me a procedure for installing ubuntu in lenovo Y500

Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@kranthipls
    I have not seen anyone with the Lenovo summarize the install details. If you start at the first post and follow thru all the details are there, just may take a bit to sort thru.

Also important to backup first both Windows & efi partition as one user in another thread used the overwrite entire drive option and erased Windows totally.

If you like keep track of what you do and document in one post like these have done.
    Installing Ubuntu 12.10 x64 on Dell XPS 13 Alongside Windows from USB New user with Details
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2108450

There are only a few UEFI/BIOS vendors so your screens may be similar?
    Sony VAIO E Series Windows 8/Ubuntu 12.10 Dual Boot, EFI help UEFI screens shown
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2087991

You will need to use the 64 bit version of 12.10 and from the UEFI menu boot the flash drive in UEFI mode. That way it will install in UEFI mode.
    Systems need quick boot or fast boot turned off in UEFI settings. Vital for some systems. Best to backup efi partition and Windows partition first.
    Use Windows Disk Tools to shrink Windows main partition, but not to create any new partitions.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    Last edited by oldfred; February 1st, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi! Could anyone please give me a full alghorithm for successfull Ubuntu 12.10 install on Y500?

What i've done:
    1. Enabled Legacy support
    2. Made a 500gb partition for Linux
    3. Installed Ubuntu there with default settings
    4. After it Ubuntu is runable only in legacy mode. And Win8 only in UEFI. It is pretty annoying
    5. I've booted from liveUSB, launched boot-repair with recommended settings
    6. Changed BIOS settings to UEFI and boot point to Ubuntu.
    7. It starts GRUB Menu. When i start Win8 from it - it can't launch it. When i start Ubuntu - only something like a quater of screen gows pure purple and nothing more happens.

I've tried some magic with EasyBCD under Win8 and other stuff, but nothing helped. Default Win8 UEFI boots well and nothing more( In legacy mode nothing is launchable at all, i am getting grub rescue menu.

I would appreciate any help, i'm pretty noob in linux and in disk partitioning and boot problems.

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have you turned off quick boot in Windows. Seem lots of issues with Windows hibernation.
    WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953674
    It defaults shutdown to a hybrid hibernation/off state for fast boot
    http://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-enab...p-in-windows-8
    But then files may be corrupted similar to Windows 7 Hibernation:
    http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.ca/...rid-sleep.html
    http://superuser.com/questions/14472...te-w-dual-boot

You can only boot Windows with the new entries added by Boot-Repair not from grub.
    grub2's os-prober creates wrong style (BIOS) chain boot entry
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1024383
    Type of entry that does not work:
    'Windows ...) (on /dev/sdXY)'
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

What video chip do you have? Or is it Optimus?
    Does system have Intel SRT?
    How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2 - both liveCD & first boot, but different
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

My y500 can now adjust brightness. The next problem is the maximum brightness I can reach is very low.

When I boot up, this is my brightness level.
    Code:
    $ cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness
    $ cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/actual_brightness
    $ cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/max_brightness
    Ater I adjust brightness, my "max_brighness" was changed
    Code:
    $ cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/max_brightness
    and I cannot increase brightness beyond this value.

Any idea please?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rorschachwalter View Post
    The resolution issue is because the driver didn't properly install. Make sure you have "dkms" installed first as well as "linux-headers-`uname -r`" first. If you have "linux-headers-generic" installed, the nvidia driver will not work. So if you're still in that boat, you don't have to reinstall Ubuntu. Just remove the nvidia driver (and linux-headers-generic just for the heck of it), install linux-headers-`uname -r` first, then reinstall nvidia. Everything should work fine.

First, make sure nvidiabl is being loaded automatically by adding a line saying simply "nvidiabl" to /etc/modules.

The scripts I posted above weren't quite right, but they were really close. Here's what they should be:
    /etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_up.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

MAX=`cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/max_brightness`
    STEP=10

VAL=`expr $VAL + $STEP`

if [ $VAL -gt $MAX ]; then
    	VAL=$MAX
    fi

/etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_down.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

MIN=0
    STEP=10

VAL=`expr $VAL - $STEP`

if [ $VAL -lt $MIN ]; then
    	VAL=$MIN
    fi

/etc/acpi/events/nvidia-brightness-down:
    Code:
    event=video LCD 00000087 00000000
    action=/etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_down.sh
    /etc/acpi/events/nvidia-brightness-up:
    Code:
    event=video LCD 00000086 00000000
    action=/etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_up.sh
    Then you have to make sure those scripts are executable:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_up.sh
    sudo chmod +x /etc/acpi/nvidia_backlight_down.sh
    You also need to have permissions to edit the brightness file itself (this was one of the problems I ran into -- the keys were running the script, but I didn't have permission to change the file so nothing happened). I'm not sure if this is the "proper" way to do things, but it at least works. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and I'll edit this post:
    Code:
    sudo chown YOURUSERNAME /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness
    That should work for a Lenovo Y500. It's not quite a perfect workaround -- the brightness actually increases and decreases slightly past what the indicator shows, but it basically works and I think you'll be quite happy with it.

If it works for you exactly as I've written it up, please report back. If there was anything I didn't quite explain or that didn't quite work, please report back so I can edit this post for others as well.
    I have a y400 and have tried to follow these instructions for changing the screen brightness, but I run into a few snags. The first is that nvidiabl doesn't seem to install properly - in fact the most recent version on github seems to be corrupt, so I installed the .deb of version .74 which appeared to work, except that after a reboot it never loaded, and typing "sudo modprobe nvidiabl" gives me "Error blahblah: No such device". It isn't listed in lsmod.

And then when doing "sudo chown YOURUSERNAME /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness" it says there's no such file, and likewise cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness returns nothing.

Beans

Hi, did you get Ubuntu on your Lenovo Y500?. I'm trying whith mine but without luck the problem is the same as yours, the blank screen after hit on "try ubuntu" in the GRUB menu. how did you fix it?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast