Thread: wi-fi compatibility

Beans

Question wi-fi compatibility

I recently got CLear as my ISP. THeir modem broadcasts a wi-fi signal, so I thought I could find an adapter that would allow me to connect my second computer to the Net. I bought a Netgear item, but then discovered it's not Linux compatible. Can anyone recommend a device that is?

Beans

Re: wi-fi compatibility

You might post over in the Networking & Wireless forum with your exact model Netgear card to see if there is a way to get it working. There is a "sticky" thread at the top of that forum with a list of commands you are asked to run first with your card plugged in, to give support people information to give you specific help for your card.

Otherwise, I have had good luck in Ubuntu with little mini-USB WiFi dongles with the Realtek 8188/8192CU chipset. They are cheap, under $10 USD on ebay or Amazon. The only problem is, you have to compile a driver for them, but if you can handle that, they are a good deal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a Lynksys adapter and it works great with Ubuntu and Debian.

I had to install a driver for it tho but it works great.

There might be a driver for the Netgear adapter you purchased.
    Do a google search for the make and model of the Netgear adapter and you may find a driver for it.
    http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-adapters/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNR0Wvg1k5I

Hope this helps.
    "A morning w/o coffee is like something w/o something else"

Voyager 12.04 Xubuntu based on AMD Phenom Quad Core & CentOS on Sony Vaio

Beans

Thank you one and all. I'm a complete duffer with all this. There is a mini-CD that one has to use before inserting the hardware, but it wasn't responding. Later I found in teeny tiny letters that the unit requires a Windows (ptui!) OS.