Thread: ubuntu 12.04 nvidia driver 310 system lockup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy ubuntu 12.04 nvidia driver 310 system lockup

Hi all

This is really bugging me and I have read a lot of forum posts but none seem to answer my question. If I happened to miss one please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I just yesterday installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop. Everything went fine and I decided to install the proprietary Nvidia driver. I installed 310 experimental from the additional drivers gui. Now randomly, my computer locks up! I can still move the mouse on my screen but any buttons or items on the screen are unresponsive. I can't even change to any other tty's. A hard reset seems to be the only thing to do the trick.

Remember this is a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 and of the nvidia 310 driver from the repos.

Any ideas. I have tried a number of thing but nothing seems to last and eventually the system will lock up.

I really appreciate any help!

Edit: My apologizes I should have added this:
    computer specs:
    i7 intel processos
    nvidia gtx 560 ti graphics card
    Last edited by TheKeyMaker; December 12th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.

Beans

Re: ubuntu 12.04 nvidia driver 310 system lockup

I am on my other distro at the moment but I am also experiencing routine 'hard' freeze with the 310.19 drivers. 313.09 has just come out so I am about to try this, perhaps this might help you as well? As a backup I have found that 304.37 is quite stable...

BTW you username matches my sig file
    You think that's air you're breathing now?