Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit
AMD-A3620 APU
8GB of system memory
Gnome 3
So I previously installed VirtualBox on my computer, for the sake of running a Windows 7 virtual machine so I didn't constantly have to restart. Everything worked fine, setup was easy, the VM got installed and running fine but I wanted to be able to use seamless mode and to do that I had to install its Guest Additions. After virtualBox failed to install this (in hindsight probably my own fault for not looking up the correct way to do it), I figured it wouldn't hurt to just uninstall and reinstall the program. I've had to do it before with other programs to update this, so I saw no problem. I uninstalled it via '--purge autoremove'. When I try to open the same .deb I downloaded with the software center (opening it with the software center, I downloaded it off the website) package I used to install it the first time, or if I use apt-get to install the application I get this error:
Code:
(Reading database ...  (Reading database ... 5% (Reading database ... 10% (Reading database ... 15% (Reading database ... 20% (Reading database ... 25% (Reading database ... 30% (Reading database ... 35% (Reading database ... 40% (Reading database ... 45% (Reading database ... 50% (Reading database ... 55% (Reading database ... 60% (Reading database ... 65% (Reading database ... 70% (Reading database ... 75% (Reading database ... 80% (Reading database ... 85% (Reading database ... 90% (Reading database ... 95% (Reading database ... 100% (Reading database ... 234581 files and directories currently installed.) 
Unpacking virtualbox-4.2 (from .../virtualbox-4.2_4.2.2-81494~Ubuntu~quantal_amd64.deb) ... 
dpkg: error processing /home/marcus/Downloads/virtualbox-4.2_4.2.2-81494~Ubuntu~quantal_amd64.deb (--install): 
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso', which is also in package virtualbox-guest-additions-iso 4.1.18-1 
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma write error: Broken pipe 
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2 
dpkg-deb (subprocess): cannot copy archive member from '/home/marcus/Downloads/virtualbox-4.2_4.2.2-81494~Ubuntu~quantal_amd64.deb' to decompressor pipe: failed to write (Broken pipe) 
Processing triggers for ureadahead ... 
ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot 
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ... 
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ... 
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index... 
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ... 
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ... 
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ... 
Errors were encountered while processing: 
 /home/marcus/Downloads/virtualbox-4.2_4.2.2-81494~Ubuntu~quantal_amd64.deb
Restarting didn't help, trying to update or uninstall and reinstall dpkg just leads to it telling me no packages were changed etc. this is getting pretty frustrating, as I'd really like to be able to use VirtualBox as apposed to VMWare or something like that as VMWare feels much slower and clunkier to me and exporting my machine to it's .ova format doesn't work out entirely well. I've also deleted and redownlaod the package from the virtualbox website a few times to be sure it isn't that, to no avail.