Thread: V newbie question

Beans

V newbie question

Hi.

Complete virtualization newbie question.

I got some new (desktop) hardware, Intel Core i7 3770K on Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, on which I would like to run tests with VMs.

Is it possible to run Ubuntu server together (!) with Windows 7 using the motherboards Intel Virtualization Technology? I would like to be able to switch between both worlds without being obliged to shutdown OS1 and reboot OS2 afterwards.

If possible, is there a guide somewhere how to setup such a box.

Thanks,
    Cu, geohei

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: V newbie question

Quote Originally Posted by geohei View Post
    Hi.

Complete virtualization newbie question.

I got some new (desktop) hardware, Intel Core i7 3770K on Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, on which I would like to run tests with VMs.

Is it possible to run Ubuntu server together (!) with Windows 7 using the motherboards Intel Virtualization Technology? I would like to be able to switch between both worlds without being obliged to shutdown OS1 and reboot OS2 afterwards.

If possible, is there a guide somewhere how to setup such a box.

Thanks,
    hmm.
    You probably want to check out KVM w/ virt-manager (if on a linux host) or VirtualBox (if on a windows host). You could also run something like ProxMox VE (you can access all VMs over network interface) or ESXi/XenClient (requires windows)
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Thanks. Gonna do that. I'd like to avoid the "host" concept. Hence ESXi/vSphere attracts me. I have to check the hardware compatibility first.

If I run W7 and // Ubuntu (both as guests), are there performance drawbacks?
    Cu, geohei

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by geohei View Post
    Thanks. Gonna do that. I'd like to avoid the "host" concept. Hence ESXi/vSphere attracts me. I have to check the hardware compatibility first.

If I run W7 and // Ubuntu (both as guests), are there performance drawbacks?
    Depends what you are short on. Two VMs shouldn't have a large impact, but when you start running a lot of VMs, your disk starts thrashing, assuming you don't hit the roof on CPU or Memory
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.